Amp for SR225? Advice Please.
Dec 14, 2003 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

iGig

500+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of buying a DVP-NS500V or maybe a 963SA. I'm leaning towards the Sony because according to what I read it's warmer than the 963, is this correct?

Assuming I get the Sony, which amp should I get for Grado 225s? I listen to mostly rock/metal with these and I love the engaging sound, crisp guitars and drums, but the highs are killing me.
frown.gif

I'm using a med-fi Onkyo system and my ears ring after very short sessions, even if I keep the volume lower than I'd like. I've heard people call the V6 very bright, but I don't have a problem with those at all, maybe because the bass is more prominent.

So please recommend a suitable amp for me, not too expensive if possible. Since I'm a nooblet I can still exploit that "igonorance is bliss syndrome" and get away with spending less and still be happy. Besides, since this source is not the best, I assume it would be overkill to get a pricey amp. [/cheap person mode]

Thanks guys, all input is appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: I forgot to say, I don't mind buying used.

Dec 14, 2003 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 15
1. A47 - cheap, simple, sweet sounding

2. Buffered multi-loop amp (like the META) - bit more refined, much more pricey than A47

3. Kevin Gilmore Dynamic - very well designed, highly regarded, quite expensive though

4. Szekeres - EXTREMELY simple, hard to do well, excellent sound, runs HOT

g

Dec 14, 2003 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 15
Flat pads will tone down the highs better than any amp. (just saying you should do this first, then upgrade your amp)

Dec 15, 2003 at 1:43 AM Post #6 of 15
I use my Emmeline XP-7 between 8 and 14 hours a day lately (yes, that's right...ugh!) at work with Grado SR225's, and it does a damn fine job. That would be my recommendation.

Dec 15, 2003 at 2:09 AM Post #7 of 15
Thanks guys for the recommendations.
-Rizumu, I got the senn pads and they tamed the highs quite a bit but I still need a new source and amp for the office.

-elrod-tom, from all the amp reviews I read, the XP-7 sounded the most appealing, but if I spend that kind of money I will be forced to get a better source.
eek.gif
like a rega planet or $omething.

-spawl, I've been looking at the Super Micro, just in case I want to amp the iPod. I never thought it was so well regarded, good to know.
-guzzler, I'll go read on the A47
-Bootman, thanks for the link on Op-amps, contacting a builder is another option.

OMG I'm back to square one... too many options.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 15, 2003 at 2:56 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by iGig
-elrod-tom, from all the amp reviews I read, the XP-7 sounded the most appealing, but if I spend that kind of money I will be forced to get a better source.
eek.gif
like a rega planet or $omething.

Well, you know what they say...sorry about your wallet!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I am at work (yes, STILL at work) right now, listening to my XP-7 with a Sony PCDP. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice source...for a portable. The point is that I'm quite pleased with what I'm getting out of it. The XP-7 is IMHO quite forgiving of a less-than-optimal source, AND it can stretch to handle the rigors of my home source (MSB Gold Link III). I recommend it highly.

Dec 15, 2003 at 9:46 PM Post #9 of 15
elrod-tom, those are long hours! good thing you have good music with you. That's my situation as well. I spend most of my day infront of the computer and that's why I'm focusing on my office set up. The computer as a source is not an option, I find it unnatural and wrong (for me)

I started reading on op-apms and I quickly realized I don't want to know so much about component parts... I just want my music to sound good. I don't know what would work for me, that's why I come to you, very knowledgeable bunch.
I see a lot of people want Burr-Brown OPA627/637 yet the XP-7 comes with AD8610 IIRC... see? enough on that, just tell me what would give me good punchy bass, defined mids and clear highs that don't make my ears bleed.

So here's a few questions I'm hoping somebody can answer:

1- If I get the XP-7, should I get a better source so the investment is worth it?

2- Would the XP-7 drive 580 or 590 Senns as well as the Grado's?

3- If I stay with an entry-level source and have a PPA or META built, who is a friendly, patient builder to contact?

4- Would a RA-1 clone work for me and who could make me one?

5- Anyone else think the Sony NS500V - Xin Micro - SR225 is an unexpensive solution with a satisfactory sound?

Thanks guys for any replies.

Dec 15, 2003 at 9:56 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by iGig
1- If I get the XP-7, should I get a better source so the investment is worth it? If you ever do invest in a really good source the XP-7 will match up very well.

2- Would the XP-7 drive 580 or 590 Senns as well as the Grado's?

3- If I stay with an entry-level source and have a PPA or META built, who is a friendly, patient builder to contact?

4- Would a RA-1 clone work for me and who could make me one?

5- Anyone else think the Sony NS500V - Xin Micro - SR225 is an unexpensive solution with a satisfactory sound?

Thanks guys for any replies.

1. As Tom has said the XP-7 works well with any source so far as I have seen. I have been using one with a a Panasonic PCDP and XM Radio and I really enjoy it.

2. I have the 600 Senns and the XP-7 drives them with authority. I listen to them primarily at home and they are a great match

3. Jon at JMTAUDIO.com can build you a nice amp if you go that route.

4. Never heard it

5. I have never heard Xin Micro.

Dec 15, 2003 at 10:24 PM Post #11 of 15
Thanks John.

Crapolla, now I wanna dump my cash on the XP-7 ... it's a lot for a new found hobby. (Timid wallet)

So I just read the XP-7 comes with AD825, not AD8610... you guys keep switching the parts on me
confused.gif
Not that it means anything to me, it's all numbers and it may as well be chinese as far as I'm concerned.
rolleyes.gif

I'm very tempted but not sure yet, I'll give it a couple of days of intensive pondering.
Feel free to continue posting, all feedback is welcome and needed.

Dec 16, 2003 at 6:46 AM Post #12 of 15
Mad Ear+ Purist

Ear+Pare2small.jpg

$325 and you get to build it yourself... which is easy and fun. This amp was designed from the start to be ideal for Grados, since it pushes lots of current at low impedances. The Mapletree w/Grados simply rocks.

I haven't auditioned the $540 Ear+ Purist HD version... but the parts list makes me drool.

http://hollowstate.netfirms.com

Dec 16, 2003 at 6:00 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
Mad Ear+ Purist

$325 and you get to build it yourself... which is easy and fun.

Nick, you are dangerous... build it myself? No way, I may break a nail.
eek.gif

I read how all these tubes sound really nice, but replacing all those fragile things is really not for me.

I_D, now everyone knows I'm buying used pads... it was our little secret.
Now I'm hoping you don't have dandruff.
biggrin.gif

Thanks again, you're nice guy to deal with.

My dear husband says I'm obsessed because amp choices is all I talk about (he has no interest whatsoever) and he's about to buy me the XP-7 just to shut me up.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm almost there... I'll go read some more so I have more annoying things to say.

Thanks for all your help. Wish me luck.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2003 at 8:32 PM Post #15 of 15
...the Florida meet this weekend, a bunch of us determined that Grados and a MicroZOTL are like bagels and cream cheese. Like peanut butter and jelly. Like peaches and cream.

They were a good match. (We had HP 1000's and SR-60's...both worked). I was listening to some of my Diana Ross disco music and - hot damn - it was fun. It should work wonders for the Grad-ing treble.

- Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back