Amp for sony mdvr6s
Sep 29, 2007 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Makenzie

New Head-Fier
I am very pleased with the sound of my sonys, but i know i can get much more out of them.. I was looking for a decent, pretty good looking amp to run them.. I took a look at the grado ra1 amp, but it says they are intended on running headphones with 100+ ohms. I believe my mdrv6s are 70. Any problems here with that? I am open to other amp suggestions..

Sep 29, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #4 of 16
Not sure.. I would like to keep it decent though, I wont need anything over the top. Budget, good bang for the buck.. Anything has to be better than my mp3 player power wise..

Sep 29, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #6 of 16
The Grado RA1 probably wouldn't mesh well with the Sony's. Grado made it specifically of the Grado line.

Like nick20 said I've heard good things about the C&C BOX+, it's relatively cheap and good looking.

Sep 29, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Makenzie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ide like to keep it around 100 or less.. The first amp you sent me looks real nice.. How are those altoid amps? Thats a funny design, but i like it..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Micro-Cmoy-headp...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Micro-Cmoy-headp...QQcmdZViewItem

I believe that have other cases, as I've seen these in all sorts of different cases. These are also an easy DIY project as well (if your into DIY).

I'll let actual owners comment, as I wanted tubes, I had no intentions on buying portable either.

Sep 29, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #9 of 16
The CMOY should work fine, it's THE low price, "go-to" amp.

Sep 29, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Makenzie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am very pleased with the sound of my sonys, but i know i can get much more out of them..

I had the MDRV6 and unless your source is total crap, they will not really improve with amplification. They are already very efficient and not very power hungry.

Sep 29, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the MDRV6 and unless your source is total crap, they will not really improve with amplification.

That's exactly my thought as well.

I'm not sure how much, a cheaper amp like the CMOY will improve the sound, but your second best bet would to upgrade the 'phones, and I know you just got these.. I know price doesn't mean much, but..

I'll stay out of this one until some more members comment. I'm very new to headphones as well..

Sep 29, 2007 at 6:24 AM Post #13 of 16
For my V6's, it paired well with a CMoy & OPA2107 op-amp.

Sep 29, 2007 at 6:47 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's exactly my thought as well.

I'm not sure how much, a cheaper amp like the CMOY will improve the sound, but your second best bet would to upgrade the 'phones, and I know you just got these.. I know price doesn't mean much, but..

I'll stay out of this one until some more members comment. I'm very new to headphones as well..

I am mainly looking for an amp to simply get louder.. Their is not much amplification that comes from my tiny sony walkman..

Sep 29, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For my V6's, it paired well with a CMoy & OPA2107 op-amp.

Was it substantially louder? Thats all im really trying to do. I just want louder, and cleaner power..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back