Amp for Shure SRH840's
Oct 5, 2009 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Achronas

New Head-Fier
I am looking for an amp for the Shure SRH840's for use with my iPod Touch 2G while walking on College campus, any suggestions?

I'd prefer to keep it under $100 but any suggestions over that are welcome too!

I am also currently using Bose in-ears and am looking to upgrade soon, what are some suggestions for very good in-ears sub $300, and I will look into used only if they are able to show that the headphones are near new quality or working condition.

Also maybe any suggestions for LOD for my iPod Touch 2G?

Oct 9, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 8
Well, not having heard an the 2G touch, I am not sure what an amp will do for the SRH840's. They are supremely easy to drive and sound fantastic out of my Sansa Clip unamped. I use a Fiio E5 for the times I want some bass boost, but I am not sure it really opens anything up.

For portables amps, the mini^3 gets very high marks and can be bought used or custom built for about $100. The Nuforce Icon mobile gets solid marks, particularly if you also need a usb dac. I purchased a Headroom Total Bithead used for under $100, which is also a respected unit, but I have not received it yet.

I am intrigued by some of the Cmoy amps available on ebay, particularly from biosciencegeek. Most can be had for around $50. Honestly, I don't know if you need an amp for your headphones. I am only getting the Bithead because it has a USB dac in it so I can use my headphones a little better with my laptop.

From what I have read, a LOD is the way to go with most ipods, although a contingent of folks here are running their IEM's straight out of the iphone 3gs's. Can't really help you with where to get a LOD. If you went with a Nuforce Icon mobile (retail $99), they also sell a LOD for $25.

Search around on the forums, many more knowledgeable people have shared their opinions on the stuff you are looking for.

Good luck.

Oct 9, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 8
Okay, just curious how much does the Fiio E5 boost the bass with the SRH-840's?

I'm a huge bass junky, and while the Beats have that perfect bass hit for me, I like the build of the Shur SRH840's.

So my question is, will the E5 give a big enough bass boost to sound close to the beats?

Oct 9, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 8
No idea about the E5 bass boost, but I agree with the above poster that an amp isn't necessary to drive the Shures - they sound very good straight out of an ipod or computer.

I recommend taking that amp money and putting it towards IEMs, if you think that's what you'll be using for most of your listening.

Oct 10, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #5 of 8
Well, not having heard the Beats, I can't really say if the SRH840's with the bass boost will match them. I have heard people vascillate about what does or doesn't have a lot of bass here so it is impossible to tell what will be enough for you. What I can tell you is that while the E5 doesn't really do anything that an amp is supposed to do (increase soundstage, tighten bass, increase highs, make fairies and unicorns dance in your head), it can add a noticeable boost to the bass. I definitely like a healthy bottom to my music, but I am not sure I would want much more than the E5 provides otherwise it will cover up a lot of what the SRH840's do so well.

It is a $20 experiment. That is what makes the E5 so great. If it adds what you are looking for, then it was probably the best $20 you can spend on this hobby. If not, it hasn't set you so far back that you can't get other things. I think I got mine for $18 or so from Dealextreme.com.

I didn't see your LOD question. Can't help with specifics (I don't use an Ipod), but if you ask around, there are a number of members here who can custom build you one. I am toying with the idea of getting a Touch and have been looking at the Sendstation which is a commercial solution that looks nice (and has a spot for a usb cable for charging). There is also this guy who has a lot of good feedback on the forum. Two good starter options until you are ready to spend more on your LOD than your Ipod like some members.

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Achronas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking for an amp for the Shure SRH840's for use with my iPod Touch 2G while walking on College campus, any suggestions?

I'd prefer to keep it under $100 but any suggestions over that are welcome too!

I am also currently using Bose in-ears and am looking to upgrade soon, what are some suggestions for very good in-ears sub $300, and I will look into used only if they are able to show that the headphones are near new quality or working condition.

Also maybe any suggestions for LOD for my iPod Touch 2G?

What did you decide to do in terms of an amp and a LOD? I just received the 840s as a gift, and I too will be using these with a 2nd Gen Touch.

Nov 6, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

I am intrigued by some of the Cmoy amps available on ebay, particularly from biosciencegeek. Most can be had for around $50. Honestly, I don't know if you need an amp for your headphones. I am only getting the Bithead because it has a USB dac in it so I can use my headphones a little better with my laptop.

I have a pair of 840s that I am using with a cmoy from biosciencegeek that I purchased off ebay and I think that it sounds fantastic. Like previously stated these things sound pretty dang good right out of the ipod but the amp adds some very nice refinement in sound. I have been using this amp for portable use for 3 years and never had a problem.

Nov 11, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #8 of 8
I was blown away earlier, a friend had a Presonus HP4 and I had only listened to the 840s out of my MacbookPro / iPhone / M-Audio Firewire Audiohile headphone out...

the bass was substantially more present..but in a good way. Now I'm on the look out for what will be a good match. I do feel that these headphones require a decent amp to sound their best.

I'm not sure if the HP4 is a decent amp, and perhaps what I was hearing was more drive/distortion, but it sounded good.. there was a substantial difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back