Amp for Shure SE530's
Aug 19, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank_Venture /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may be purchasing my first Ipod, for the sake of LOD. Trying to see if I can push my budget to the range of the higher end RSA's. Also have been reading a lot about the UE TF10 on here and in comparison to 530's. If I could sell my 530's I would probably opt for those. Hopefully full size cans by mid next year as well. Which is why something like The Hornet or P-51 could be a better overall investment. Custom molds and upgraded cables makes more sense for the UE's long term too. Going to try to make a bunch of different pairings of source/amp/phones examples and see what comes up.

keep an eye out for the P-51 one just went for $290 (and it was two-tone!) in the FS section... all i can add to this is that the predator+SE530 is a good match...

Aug 19, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ABathingApe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm referencing my D10's hiss, could have been more clear. Anyways, as a deal breaker...really? To each his own. At the cost of a D10 vs Pred vs Pico DAC, I can make comprimises.

Definitely to each his own, but why would you even need to make compromises introducing an amp that creates hiss for a pair of earphones that dont really need amplification in the first place.

Makes no sense at all if then end goal is to increase sound quality and listening pleasure.

Id rather keep it ampless and hiss free than buy something that isn't necessary for those earphones strictly speaking and have a degradation of sound quality.

Aug 19, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely to each his own, but why would you even need to make compromises introducing an amp that creates hiss for a pair of earphones that dont really need amplification in the first place.

Makes no sense at all if then end goal is to increase sound quality and listening pleasure.

Id rather keep it ampless and hiss free than buy something that isn't necessary for those earphones strictly speaking and have a degradation of sound quality.

Well my D10 is for my SRH840's and to be used as a DAC. I've had my 530's for over a year before I even got a portable amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #21 of 30
If I were you I would look at the Pico. It is $50 more than you are looking to spend (no DAC) but I have been using the Pico with my SE530's -> Ety p->s cable with fantastic results. Even without the p->s cable the 530's have no hiss and sing nicely through the Pico.

Aug 19, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #22 of 30
I find the icon mobile to be a tad bright when paired with the SE530, and it produces hiss. While it is a noticeable improvement over the headphone jack on my iphone 3G, I will be upgrading to either the RSA Shadow or Pico Slim when those are available.

Aug 20, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #23 of 30
^ OP Bender is referencing 2 new ultra small portable amps that will be coming onto the market shortly. Both with excellent first impressions. I'd probably wait for those if you need a pure amp.

Aug 30, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #26 of 30
While I don't have any specific recommendations about amps since I haven't really tried any number of them, I will suggest a couple of things.

First, IMO the 530 really shines using amplification. I have an iBasso P2 and while not it isn't an overly fancy amp, it transforms the 530s IMO.

For non-critical listening, it doesn't really matter. I'm using mine with an iPod Touch, and when listening with the volume at 50% or lower, the amp isn't needed. But above that, the Touch's amp starts to fall apart.

In regard to hiss, I can only hear hiss doing critical listening in a very quiet environment, when the source material is basically silent. At least with the Touch + LOD + P2, it isn't really a problem for me.

But for one, with the iPod, you want a good LOD, and I've tried a number of them and have had trouble with them getting damaged, having intermittent connection issues with movement, etc.

In the end, I've settled on the Sendstation PocketDock Line Out with USB paired with a Cardas 6" mini to mini cable.

The PocketDock is slightly bulky, but it has a very sturdy connection, and I can charge concurrently if needed. The Cardas cable is also very sturdy, and has two right angle plugs which I prefer.

Sendstation is now offering a smaller version of the PocketDock with a mini USB which I have on order and will see if works as well as the normal one.

Another thing I'll recommend are custom mold sleeves for the 530 from Sensaphonics. I always have trouble with tips, and the approx $140 I paid for the sleeves was well worth it.

-john

Sep 1, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #27 of 30
I find that if you listen to music from iTunes (lossless preferred) or another computer/laptop source then a good quality soundcard or DAC will do wonders for the Shure SE530.

If you're listening from the iPhone 3G, the headphone out drives the canalphones fine with satisfactory quality. However, I do have a Corda Meier 3Move which is a mid-tier portable amp that pairs quite nicely with it, although head-fi users from what I've read also prefer the RSA products.

Has anybody reviewed the Sendstation PocketDock properly? I want to know how it compares with the other offerrings. Where I live, only the Zy line out dock is readily available and there's almost nothing on it here.

Sep 3, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #28 of 30
I did not find that my se530 improved much with my RSA P-51. That's not to say the P51 was not worth it, just that the SE 530 didn't really benefit.

I should also add that I didn't care for the SE530 mainly bcause I found the highs to be very rolled off if not completely absent. I much prefered my Ety ER4s with the Mustang.

Sep 4, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #30 of 30
Also i noticed in your original thread that you were asking for a quality mini to mini. If your using an iPod I strongly suggest a Line Out Dock. this will improve SQ much more so than a mini from the headphone out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back