Amp for Shure 1840
Dec 9, 2015 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MadsSK

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fi Members,

I have recently acquired a pair of Shure1840s. Coming from a pair of HD518 the Shure1840 is clearly superior in almost all aspects. I do however feel like they do lack a bit of bass (low-end). I am therefore looking for an amp to drive them. I am currently using a fiio e10 which i do not feel is doing the Shure SRH1840 justice. I have recently ordered a Nuforce Icon HDP, but after reading reviews I am nervous that they will only make the 1840s more bright which is not what I am looking for. (I am expecting the Nuforce to arrive within 10 days.)

I am therefore looking for a nice amp which will add some warmth to the sound without removing from the detailed highs or mids. I am especially intersted in more punchy bass (not out of control). Without being able to feel the bass there is little drama or life in the headphones.

I am thinking that I can use the amp with the dac in the Nuforce Icon, but I do not have a huge budget and I am therefore willing to resell the Nuforce Icon HDP (I got it for 190 usd), and buy something else. If I do resell I do however need to use the dac in the fiio e10 with a new amp or I will need to buy something which is a dac/amp combo.

I am willing to buy used and I have recently been looking for a bargain Woo Audio WA6, Schiit Valhalla or Asgard, or a Darkvoice 336 on ebay.

Any advice or reccomendation is much appreciated.

Thanks!

/Mads

Dec 10, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #3 of 5
This may not be of much help, but I have the 1840s and Yes, you don't need to do something that would enhance the treble on these.  They have good extended top end and quite a bit of "air" in that region.  I've used them with a number of amps - tube and solid state.  The one I like the best is the Schiit Moljinir.  I replaced the 1840 with a Moon Audio balanced cable and this is the combination that sounds the best to ME.  I have several DACs so I can't really comment on your situation.  I've found that with the Schiit/Moon Audio combination, I hear less variability among the Dacs and that includes a couple of older 16bit units.  Of course, I think the DACs that I have all sound good - I spent most of a year listening and auditioning them before I actually bought and kept one.  It's all personal preference and what I like, you may not.
Anyway, best of luck in your search and know the 1840s are one the best at articulation and top end smoothness with the right amp.

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks @DrKC , but the Schiit Moljinir is a bit out of my price range. Do you have another suggestion for something a bit cheaper? I am considering the Schiit Vali or Asgaard as good options?

Dec 12, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #5 of 5
From all accounts, the asgard II is a good amp.  I don't have one, so I can't comment directly as to how it sounds with the 1840s.  I have the Valhalla 2 tube amp and in the low gain position, it does quite well with the 1840s in a single-ended configuration.  The output impedance is a little high on the tube amp, but not too bad in the low gain setting.
The nice thing about Schiit is you can get the Asgard and try it - if you don't like it, the return policy is pretty good.  So give it a shot and see how the combo sounds to you.
Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back