Amp for Shure 1840
Dec 9, 2015 at 11:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

MadsSK

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fi Members,

I have recently acquired a pair of Shure1840s. Coming from a pair of HD518 the Shure1840 is clearly superior in almost all aspects. I do however feel like they do lack a bit of bass (low-end). I am therefore looking for an amp to drive them. I am currently using a fiio e10 which i do not feel is doing the Shure SRH1840 justice. I have recently ordered a Nuforce Icon HDP, but after reading reviews I am nervous that they will only make the 1840s more bright which is not what I am looking for. (I am expecting the Nuforce to arrive within 10 days.)

I am therefore looking for a nice amp which will add some warmth to the sound without removing from the detailed highs or mids. I am especially intersted in more punchy bass (not out of control). Without being able to feel the bass there is little drama or life in the headphones.

I am thinking that I can use the amp with the dac in the Nuforce Icon, but I do not have a huge budget and I am therefore willing to resell the Nuforce Icon HDP (I got it for 190 usd), and buy something else. If I do resell I do however need to use the dac in the fiio e10 with a new amp or I will need to buy something which is a dac/amp combo.

I am willing to buy used and I have recently been looking for a bargain Woo Audio, Schiit Valhalla or Darkvoice on ebay.

Any advice or reccomendation is much appreciated.

Thanks!

/Mads

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #2 of 26
  Hi Head-Fi Members,

I have recently acquired a pair of Shure1840s. Coming from a pair of HD518 the Shure1840 is clearly superior in almost all aspects. I do however feel like they do lack a bit of bass (low-end). I am therefore looking for an amp to drive them. I am currently using a fiio e10 which i do not feel is doing the Shure SRH1840 justice. I have recently ordered a Nuforce Icon HDP, but after reading reviews I am nervous that they will only make the 1840s more bright which is not what I am looking for. (I am expecting the Nuforce to arrive within 10 days.)

I am therefore looking for a nice amp which will add some warmth to the sound without removing from the detailed highs or mids. I am especially intersted in more punchy bass (not out of control). Without being able to feel the bass there is little drama or life in the headphones.

I am thinking that I can use the amp with the dac in the Nuforce Icon, but I do not have a huge budget and I am therefore willing to resell the Nuforce Icon HDP (I got it for 190 usd), and buy something else. If I do resell I do however need to use the dac in the fiio e10 with a new amp or I will need to buy something which is a dac/amp combo.

I am willing to buy used and I have recently been looking for a bargain Woo Audio, Schiit Valhalla or Darkvoice on ebay.

Any advice or reccomendation is much appreciated.

Thanks!

/Mads

Have you tried the Sennheiser HD650?

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:37 PM Post #3 of 26

Have you tried the Sennheiser HD650?

Thanks for the reply Me x3!

I have not tried the Sennheiser HD650, I would love a pair but having just bought the Shure 1840s I do not have a budget to just buy another pair of headphones. Also if I did buy some HD650s and started using them I would feel like I wasted money on the 1840s which were not cheap.

I have read that the highs and mids are better on the Shure 1840s compared to the HD650s, and I do very much like the mids and highs aswell as the awesome soundstage and imaging it offers. I am therefore interested in working what I have and I just need an amp which will boost the bass (low-end) a bit. Maybe a tube amp could be the solution?

/Mads K.

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #4 of 26

Thanks for the reply Me x3!

I have not tried the Sennheiser HD650, I would love a pair but having just bought the Shure 1840s I do not have a budget to just buy another pair of headphones. Also if I did buy some HD650s and started using them I would feel like I wasted money on the 1840s which were not cheap.

I have read that the highs and mids are better on the Shure 1840s compared to the HD650s, and I do very much like the mids and highs aswell as the awesome soundstage and imaging it offers. I am therefore interested in working what I have and I just need an amp which will boost the bass (low-end) a bit. Maybe a tube amp could be the solution?

/Mads K.

The thing is, a solid state amplifier won't probably change the sound enough for your preferences.
You can try the Asgard 2, Matrix M-Stage HPA-2 or a Violectric V100, but those amplifiers will cost you a good amount of money and they are still solidstate amps, slightly warm yes, but differences are subtle.

Tube amplifiers like the Valhalla 2 don't work that great with relatively low impedance headphones like Shures.
You can try your Shures with a Vali amplifier (hybrid), it might work. 

Any amp with an output impedance over 10 Ohm will boost the mid-bass of your Shures but will also roll off the sub-bass.

My advice:
1) A good parametric equalizer should work, you can try something like Equalizer APO or similar. 
2) If you want a slight change, very slight change towards the warmer side, an Asgard 2 might serve you well. 
3) Sometimes, selling your 1840 and getting the HD650 is easier and cheaper than bothering buying amplifiers that you may not prefer. The HD650 is a very good headphone, a bit warmer than 1840 and still very clear and resolving.

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #5 of 26

The thing is, a solid state amplifier won't probably change the sound enough for your preferences.
You can try the Asgard 2, Matrix M-Stage HPA-2 or a Violectric V100, but those amplifiers will cost you a good amount of money and they are still solidstate amps, slightly warm yes, but differences are subtle.

Tube amplifiers like the Valhalla 2 don't work that great with relatively low impedance headphones like Shures.
You can try your Shures with a Vali amplifier (hybrid), it might work. 

Any amp with an output impedance over 10 Ohm will boost the mid-bass of your Shures but will also roll off the sub-bass.

My advice:
1) A good parametric equalizer should work, you can try something like Equalizer APO or similar. 
2) If you want a slight change, very slight change towards the warmer side, an Asgard 2 might serve you well. 
3) Sometimes, selling your 1840 and getting the HD650 is easier and cheaper than bothering buying amplifiers that you may not prefer. The HD650 is a very good headphone, a bit warmer than 1840 and still very clear and resolving.

Thanks for your advice! I will certainly take it into consideration when making a decision.

/Mads

Dec 9, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #7 of 26

I would very much appreciate any input by someone who have used a lot of tube amps :)
Would a tube amp by an option for warming up the sound a bit?
/Mads

You'll find bright tube amps and warm tube amps, but normally this kind of amplifiers work best with the typical high impedance headphones.

It's not that simple as picking an amplifier someone said is a warm one. 
The amplifier interacts with the headphone.

For example, some tube amplifiers have a high output impedance. 
When paired with Beyerdynamics (DT880/DT990/T70/T90) or with Sennheisers (HD600/HD650/HD700) they make the sound warmer due to the interaction between the output impedance of the amplifier and the winding impedance of these headphones. 

An amplifier with high output impedance EQ the sound in the shape of the headphone's impedance.

Here you can take a look at the impedance plot for:

HD600 (look at the big raise in the mid-bass)
PINK TRACE
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD600.pdf

SRH-1840 (look how the bump in the mid-bass region is small and the impedance in 
the sub-bass is even less than the midrange)
PINK TRACE
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSRH1840.pdf

You can always swap tubes and pick some with more roll off at the treble region to make the sound darker, but you can achieve this by using an equalizer too (software).

Maybe you can ask for impressions in the SRH-1840 dedicated thread.

Best Luck!

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #8 of 26
@Me x3 Sorry that I keep asking question and stuff but you are very helpful! :)

I am looking at the Xduoo TA-01 or TA-02, what do you think of that? Otherwise I will look for a used Schiit Audio Asgard 2 or a Darkvoice 336.

What do you think ?

Thanks again for your help :)

Dec 9, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #9 of 26
  @Me x3 Sorry that I keep asking question and stuff but you are very helpful! :)

I am looking at the Xduoo TA-01 or TA-02, what do you think of that? Otherwise I will look for a used Schiit Audio Asgard 2 or a Darkvoice 336.

What do you think ?

Thanks again for your help :)

No prob.

I would probably pick the Aune T1 or T1 MK2 intead. 
Xduoo specs are not complete so it's hard to tell how they'll sound when paired with SRH-1840.

Aune T1 is pretty well known around here. 
You can upgrade with something like Orange Globe 6DJ8/ECC88 later if you feel the need.

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #12 of 26
  @Me x3 - What do you think about the Schiit Vali for my Shure 1840s? I might get the Aune T1 to use as an dac with the Vali later.

/Mads

I think that having the Aune T1 which is a DAC AMP, you won't need the Vali.
The Vali is a very good hybrid amplifier, but it's a pretty neutral one not warm and soft as you might expect.

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #13 of 26
Ah okay... I have just read from people who have had the T1 that the amp in it is not very good and that if you already have a dac the Vali is a way superior amp.
I have also read that the tube has no effect on the amp in the T1 but only on the dac.
As I am not really looking for a dac but an amp can add some warmth to the sound without removing from the detailed highs or mids. I dont think the T1 is the best option for me.

Also from the reviews I have read on this site, the Vali has "nice full bass" and is "excellent pairing with the Q701" (which is a bright headphone)

People also stated:

"The Vali will smooth the treble of the HE-400 or at least it did for mine."

and

"The Vali sounds nothing like the others [O2 and Magni]. It's slightly more smoother and warmer, more of a natural sound but ever so slightly, and more realistic sounding."

I know there is also a lot of people who have stated that it is neutral sounding and I know that there wont be a huge difference, but I have not gotten a lot of other advise on a better amp unless I went for the schiit asgaard which from what I have read will add less warmth?

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #14 of 26
  Ah okay... I have just read from people who have had the T1 that the amp in it is not very good and that if you already have a dac the Vali is a way superior amp.

I would say, try the T1 first. SRH-1840 is not that hard to drive.
You can upgrade the stock tube with something like Orange Globe 6DJ8/ECC88 for more midrange warmth.
You can read more about tubes for Aune T1, I think there should be other interesting possibilities.

When it comes to amplification and DACs, it's recommended to take each 'way superior' and 'way inferior' with a grain of salt.

The Vali is surely the superior amplifier, but it won't make your SRH-1840 sound like a pair of Focal Utopia Scala in a perfect room.
It could make your SRH-1840 sound a tiny bit more detailed here and there, but don't expect a whole new level of performance.

At the end of the day, having the Aune T1, pick top quality audiophile recordings and they'll shine (with or without the Vali).
Pick poor recordings and they'll sound for what they are (with or without the Vali)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back