Amp for Sennheiser Hd 650 - $500 budget
Jun 28, 2005 at 2:15 PM Post #16 of 26
Hmmm...with all of the recommendations for the SR-71 and Gilmore around here, there seems to be very little love for the SM3. So it would seem that the majority of the folks here feel that there isn't synergy in a HD650/SM3 combo???

(I am especially curious since I am now waiting on my SM3 (Xin) and my HD650s to arrive (thanks dano)).

Jun 28, 2005 at 2:26 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by DAYTA
Hmmm...with all of the recommendations for the SR-71 and Gilmore around here, there seems to be very little love for the SM3. So it would seem that the majority of the folks here feel that there isn't synergy in a HD650/SM3 combo???

(I am especially curious since I am now waiting on my SM3 (Xin) and my HD650s to arrive (thanks dano)).

While it's a good amp, I'm sure it's no match for the maxed PPA, PPX3, and HD300 that have been mentioned. He's looking for a desktop amp, and will want a 1/4th output and RCA inputs.

Jun 28, 2005 at 4:38 PM Post #18 of 26
Ok, I've narrowed it down to the Singlepower PPX3-6SN7 and Grands PPA. The price difference between the two is around $250 I believe. I like that the PPX3 will be new and have a 3 year warranty. If I went with the PPA, I suppose I could use that other $250 on cables and what not....Is there anyone here who owns a PPX3-6SN7 that could offer feedback?

EDIT: I was just quoted $715 for the PPX3-6SN7. I read in a review that it was $650...must have gone up in price...

Jun 28, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #19 of 26
I've compared Purks PPA with the step power supply and diamond buffers with the PPX3. I preferred the over all sound of the PPX3. This was not the 6sn7 version, which I would think would be even better. I personally like the 6sn7 tube better than the stock tubes used in the PPX3. Have you looked for a used MPX3 for around the same price as the new PPX3? I think the warranty carries over to the new owner and that would give you a much better amp than either the PPX3 or the PPA.

Jun 29, 2005 at 2:46 PM Post #21 of 26
Ok, new budget...

I went ahead and bought the MpX3 with Solen upgrade. I spoke with Mikhail and we discussed options, I figured it would be best for me to start with the just the Solen upgrade and later if needed upgrade other things.

I like how my budget doubled in two days, hey, i guess that's what these forums do to you!

Thanks for all the input everyone.

600smile.gif

Jun 29, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #22 of 26
makofury,

could you provide us with more info please? I feel we need to know more of your listening preferences and gear preferences before we can really hammer down on what you want and need. Do you prefer Solid state? Tubes? OTL? Transformer coupled? What kind of sound are you looking to achieve? What are your current thoughts on the 650's as of right now, and what direction would you like to go from what you have right now to where you want to be?

answer as many of that as you can, and we as a community will be better equipped in serving your needs

Jun 29, 2005 at 3:05 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by MakoFury
I spoke with Mikhail about my music preferences, I figured might as well get what I want and not settle for something less rather than later realizing I want more and upgrading in the future.

Congrats! Enjoy your new purchase!

Jun 29, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by MakoFury
Ok, new budget...

I went ahead and bought the MpX3 with Solen upgrade. I spoke with Mikhail and we discussed options, I figured it would be best for me to start with the just the Solen upgrade and later if needed upgrade other things.

I like how my budget doubled in two days, hey, i guess that's what these forums do to you!

Thanks for all the input everyone.

600smile.gif

eek.gif

Good for you. Congratulations!

That’s my motto too
eggosmile.gif
: Go for the fully fledged alternative, if you have the means - that is. Otherwise, the upgraditis will set in unnecessary early
icon10.gif

We are all dying to get to know what you think of it
icon10.gif
. I have to admit that young modern mainstream is not my first association with a MPX3. On the other hand, Mikhail, can, if asked, voice his amps to a good fit to a particular taste.

Just remember to give it a minimum of 100hrs of burn-in before passing judgement.

Jun 29, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #26 of 26
Enjoy your new amp!
icon10.gif
600smile.gif
The Singlepowers are great with 650s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back