Amp for Sennheiser HD 598
Jan 23, 2012 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Hwoarang X

New Head-Fier
Hello, everyone. I'm new here, actually. I just bought my first pair of high end headphones this Christmas. I settled on the Sennheiser HD 598 because I was able ot get them at a very solid price ($170 brand new).

However, I'm wondering what kind of amp would be best for them. I watch a lot of anime and blu-ray movies on my TV. I also have a PS3 that I use fairly regularly. I'd be willing to pay $100 or even a bit over, and I'm wondering what type of amp would be best to use for my PS3 when gaming and watching blu-rays.

If you have any recommendations, please let me hear them. I'm pretty new to all this, as I mentioned. Thanks for your help.

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #2 of 6
fiio e9 should be more than enough for hd 598s

Jan 24, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 6
TBS Earforce DSS or Astro Mix-amp.
Both can take the digital optical from the PS3 and give you Dolby Virtual Headphone (surround sound).

Feb 22, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #4 of 6
I use Sennheiser HD 598's through a Cowon Iaudio9 without an amp and they sound steller, I use the BBE Headphone 3 setting which makes the sound fuller and gives the headphones some bottom end as well.

But since you want to use an amp, I suggest the cmoybb from JDS Labs or Fiio E11, E7 and E17. You don't need a super expensive amp to drive the HD 598's.

Feb 22, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #5 of 6
My E7 works good with them. They are not hard to drive phones. 

Nov 12, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 6
Hi PurpleAngel, I've been looking at alot of threads about the best amp for the 598s and saw that you posted in several of the threads I looked at, so yeah, I just thought it was nice of you to answer the same question many times, thanks :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back