Amp for Sennheiser HD 590s
Nov 8, 2005 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tim0chen

New Head-Fier
I use Sennheiser HD 590 headphones connected to my computer via an Audigy 2 sound card. I mainly listen to hip hop, with some trip hop thrown in there. I know absolutey nothing about amps, and I want to keep this purchase as simple as possible. I'm willing to spend up to $200, but would prefer buying something like a cheap cmoy if a more expensive amp would be much less cost effective.

Would a cmoy cut it for the HD 590s, or are there better choices, ie the PA2v2 or Go-Vibe v3 and others?

Nov 8, 2005 at 4:11 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim0chen
I use Sennheiser HD 590 headphones connected to my computer via an Audigy 2 sound card. I mainly listen to hip hop, with some trip hop thrown in there. I know absolutey nothing about amps, and I want to keep this purchase as simple as possible. I'm willing to spend up to $200, but would prefer buying something like a cheap cmoy if a more expensive amp would be much less cost effective.

Would a cmoy cut it for the HD 590s, or are there better choices, ie the PA2v2 or Go-Vibe v3 and others?

I have the HD590 and I have numerous Cmoy's I've built and one PPA I've built. Don't bother with the Cmoys - go with the PPAv2. There is *no* comparison.

Nov 9, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the input, I'll add the PA2v2 to my list. Any other suggestions?

Also, when using the amp on my computer, am I best off connecting it to: a) the front speaker jack on the Audigy 2, b) the front speaker jack on my motherboard, or c) the headphone jack on the volume/bass remote of my Logitech z-2300 speakers?

Nov 9, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Also, when using the amp on my computer, am I best off connecting it to: a) the front speaker jack on the Audigy 2, b) the front speaker jack on my motherboard, or c) the headphone jack on the volume/bass remote of my Logitech z-2300 speakers?

Wel - that all depends on what soundcard you have onboard your motherboard - but if it's a craptacular AC97 soundcard - then I would go with a. Ignore option C altogether.

Nov 9, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #5 of 7
if you bump up the budget a bit, you should look at the micro amp, its a warm amp, and definately good for hip hop and acoustic music alike.

A cmoy is thin in the bass region and very sharp and punchy sounding, IMO not great for hip hop, I label a cmoy more of a volume booster minus bass weight, then an amp that can refine your headphones.

Nov 9, 2005 at 6:37 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

I didn't catch this earlier - I don't recommend the PA2 - I've never heard it. I recommended a PPA v2.

Nov 9, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

I am satisfied with my almost maxed AD86x0 PIMETA. Excellent quality/money ratio, especially if you go with a used one. I would not bother with <100$ options, one quickly outgrow that.

Edit: And connect the amp to pure line-out, not (already crappily amped) headphone-out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back