Amp for Senn 600's yet no hum for Sensa's?
Jan 21, 2005 at 4:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

king896

100+ Head-Fier
I need some help with choosing a new home amp. Right now I need a amp that can both power a pair of Senn 600's yet be perfectly black so I can use them with my pair of sensaphonics and not have any background hum, also if possible I would like some preamp functions for a pair of computer speakers that I have hookup to my system. The source is an EMU 1212 with Headphile CPU Emu 1.5 meter cable playing FLAC files. Right now my budget is around $300-$500 as I am selling my Shure E5c's and Bada amp to pay for this. Thanks for your help

Jan 21, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #3 of 5
I don't know about the preamp part, but the SR-71 would work nicely for your needs. It powers my hd650 great and is also completely black when using with my sensaphonics. I think it even sounds better than my PPA w/diamond buffer for the sensaphonics. The only drawback is that it only uses batteries. You can either buy in bulk or use rechargeables.

Jan 21, 2005 at 5:48 AM Post #4 of 5
The Sr71 won't work, I have already invested some money in an expensive rca cable for normal amps and don't want to sell it off if I don't have to and buy the time I am done with buying batteries for it, it would be well over what I want to spend.

Jan 21, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #5 of 5
So far from my browesings of some of the amps that I have seen from headfi these seem like they might work but I would like t have some opinions on them.

Gilmore Lite: It seems to be good for low impedance phones like the grado's but it might not be too go for the Senn 600. It has a loop out so I can use my speakers and it retails for $300.

Wooaudio 3: It seems to work well with higher impedance phones, yet I have no idea if the tubes are going to be a problem with the Sensa's. It has preamp function and it retails for $450.

A custom made PPA: This is where I am not sure how it would work b/c everyone says that it can be customized for almost any setup. From what I read from some of the PPA sits I can get an impedance switch so it could work with both of the phones. I would like to know if there is a loop out function I can add to it and how much the whole thing would cost if I don't need any crossfeed or bass boot yet want the best components.

If you have any opinions on any of these or different amps altogether it would be a great help to me. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back