Amp for RS1i - $450 to spend - RA1 or Headroom Micro
Dec 5, 2009 at 6:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

El Bishop

New Head-Fier
Looking for an amp to put between my Macbook Pro (ALAC) and my Grado RS1is -- got about $450 to spend. Thinking I want to check out the Music Streamer as an outboard DAC but looking for an amp for sub $500 -- thinking the Headroom is a better value for the $ than the Grado amp. Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Thanks

Dec 5, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #2 of 19
Yeah, stay away from the Grado one. It's basically a CMOY in a Mahogany enclosure, so it's not all that powerful.

Headroom amps are good but I have only experience with the Total Airhead.

If anything get a nice hybrid amp. They give you tube warmth and solid state power.

Dec 5, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
amps are good but I have only experience with the Total Airhead.

If anything get a nice hybrid amp. They give you tube warmth and solid state power.

I second this opinion, Grados go very well with Hybrids, you don't want an OTL tube amp, get either a hybrid or spend a little more for the Woo6. I've not heard much improvements with SS amps for Grados without spending a lot more money than your budget.

Dec 5, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 19
Go for the RA1 if you are only going to use the RS1. Go for the headroom if you plan on swapping phones out. It will allow for a wider range of sound quality with different brands.

Dec 5, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #6 of 19
I've found all the Grados I've had to be fairly easily matched with the amps I've tried. The Grados, to me, seem to take on some of the character of the amp. I've never heard the Grado amp but I've read very little positive about the RA1. Especially when price is brought into the mix. I have the Headroom Micro Amp and I think it's a really nice amp. T hough not perfect. I'm also not sure what an upgrade to the Headroom Ultra Micro Amp would bring at almost twice the price. You have a pretty decent budget and you might want to look at other options. I ordered the Gilmore Lite looking for more detail and neutrality. I'll do a side-by-side with that and the Headroom Micro Amp when I've had time with the GL. -Ross

Dec 5, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #7 of 19
Im new to headphone amps and thought a tube amp was just a tube amp, I've been here a month now and realised that is not the case, so apart from a little dot 1+ what other hybrids models are out there?

Dec 5, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #8 of 19
I would try to find an used Mapletree Ear + Purist for the RS-1. They are made to be used together! If you can not find an used one then try an used Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 or V3, or a Head Direct EF-1. Good luck.

Dec 6, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #10 of 19
Another Hybrid amp is the X-CanV8P which I own along with a Audio-GD Roc. The V8P really smooths out the Grado's and gives them all the current they want since the amp does not limit current. It also gives them some more bass impact as well and warming up those nice Grado mids.

Dec 6, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would try to find an used Mapletree Ear + Purist for the RS-1. They are made to be used together! If you can not find an used one then try an used Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 or V3, or a Head Direct EF-1. Good luck.

Agreed...I think the Mapletree Tube amps and the RS1s are a match made in heaven. If you can get one for $500 used, I would jump on it.

Dec 7, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another Hybrid amp is the X-CanV8P which I own along with a Audio-GD Roc. The V8P really smooths out the Grado's and gives them all the current they want since the amp does not limit current. It also gives them some more bass impact as well and warming up those nice Grado mids.

Thanks Zombie, the X-CanV8P looks ideal really, apart from the little dot and the hifiman I was finding it difficult to find a hybrid amp that wasnt diy. And as an added bonus the V8P is a uk product so i dont need to have it shipped halfway round the world.

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you know how the Little Dot I+ compares with the V2 with regards to Grados? What about the Millet Hybrid?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back