Amp for Record Player, need advice
Aug 21, 2013 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

warhawk9593

New Head-Fier
Long time browser of this forum, the threads on here helped me decide which headphones to get about two years ago (sennheiser HD25 and I love em!). Today I am here to ask a question. I currently just moved into a small apartment and would like to use my record player, but because of its size of my room a full blown stereo system is not a realistic option. I was hoping another option would be to use a headphones amp or DAC (to be honest I am not 100% sure what I am exactly looking for, I just know I need something). 

Currently I have my headphones, a record player and then the Rega Fono Mini, I think what I need next is an amp for my headphones but I am not 100% sure so that is one reason I am posting on here. I do realize that the fono mini allows me to use my laptop but the laptop I have has decent soundquality, just not as good as I'd want. Is my assumption correct? Or am I way off here? And finally a recommendation would be great. It is not intended to be portable so size is not an issue. I am looking for the 150-200 dollar range, but if it is a bit more I will consider it and if it is less than that but still a stellar product then please feel free to mention it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Aug 21, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #3 of 4
My record player does not, it is the rega rp1, but the fono mini does have a pre-amp built in (here is the link so you can see exactly what it is http://www.rega.co.uk/html/Fono%20mini.htm).

Aug 21, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 4
Don't know your specific equipment, but it appears that you can run an RCA stereo out from your mini to the RCA in of any amp (that has an RCA in), including a headphone amp. 

It should also work with an headphone amp like the O2, which can be connected with RCA to mini cable.

If you have any doubts, contact the Riga folks by phone or email.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back