Amp for portable speakers ?...
Jun 5, 2005 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Ko Nectic Jazz

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there.

Lemme tell you everything.

I'm an young actor and sometimes I need music to work, and I can't plug my mp3player on the audio system in the room where we work.
Furthermore, sometimes I need a cd that I don't have brought, sometimes I have a cd, but I need another one, and I can't borrow all my cds everytime, evenmore if I own a mp3 player.

Thus I looked for some portable speakers on accessories forum and I found this pair : Coby CSP-14 . They are passive. I also find some active with Sony or Audio-Technica.
But the cobys are very cheap. If I have a good amp, I can use it for this and for my cans !
biggrin.gif

Now my questions :

-What kind of amp : portable or not ?
(I has to remain rather portable though)
-Which one ?
(in portable, or in stand, not in the 2 categories, despite you really want to !
wink.gif
)

And, which one, active or passive, do you think is easier to use ?

Edit : I don't have any amp for now...

Jun 5, 2005 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 4
Perhaps it would be far more cost effective to buy portable speakers that are amped by batteries rather than buying a seperate amp and passive speakers? 'twould probably be more portable too.

Let's face it: you're never going to be able to find portable speakers that sound nearly as good as headphones or 'real' speakers, so I wouldn't spend money on a seperate amp to power them.

Jun 5, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 4
DIYparadise.com is coming out with an amp the size of a credit card that can be powered either by 12 volt battery or wall wart. The sound according to Yeo, who also makes the Monica II dac, is very good. It will be interesting to listen to this and it will add to the portability of sound . . . now for the speakers.

John

10 watt into 8 ohm and 20 watt into 4 ohm, so I am told

Users who are viewing this thread

Back