Amp for playing Vinyl?
Dec 16, 2010 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

ManCannon

New Head-Fier
I'm not sure where to put this as I'm not sure exactly what I need, but I think I need some kind of amp.

I recently bought an Audio-Technica LP60 Turntable to play some vinyls I purchased as I've been wanting to get into vinyl for a while now. Everything is great and I really dig the sound except for one tiny little problem: it's way too low! I bought this player because it was only $100 and I read I could go straight into my Audio-Technica ATH-AD900's with its preamp which I can, and it sounds really good, it's just way below my normal listening level and there doesn't seem to be any way to adjust the volume :frowning2:.

All I want is something to make it louder and that's it. What exactly do I need? A phono pre-amp? Will that work exclusively with headphones, which is what I'm looking for?

My apologies if I don't know exactly what I'm asking for, hopefully you guys can forgive my ignorance and point me in the right direction.

Dec 16, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 22
Looks like your turntable has a pre-amp built in, so you don't need a separate one. Just tack on a headphone amp to the pre-amp output, bam, done. Any headphone amp will do.

Dec 16, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #3 of 22
Any particular amp you'd recommend as pairing well with my headphones?

I could spend up to about $200 but if there's something cheaper than or around $100 that will do the job nearly as well I'm all ears.

And thanks for the help, I'm pretty much stumbling around in the dark here as my AD900's are pretty easy to drive with everything else so I've had no need for an amp.

Dec 16, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 22
You can get any amp you want, it doesn't really matter. The AD900 is easily driven by just about anything. I won't recommend anything because I have no experience with any specific models in your price range. A DIY-type Mini3 could work though if you don't mind a battery-powered portable device. This page lists contact info for 2 builders who can build one for you: http://www.amb.org/audio/mini3/

Dec 16, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #5 of 22
Add a nice integrated for extra options if you like. A capable receiver or amplifier with good headphone out allows you to play with more than just volume. Old stuff is quite cheap so worth a gamble if you know what you want...

Dec 16, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 22
So I'm thinking of stretching my budget a bit and going with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Rolls-VP130-Tube-Phono-Preamp/dp/B001BYM3JU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1292543168&sr=8-3

It seems to be a preamp and a headphone amp all in one. Since I can bypass my turntable's built in preamp I'm assuming if I use this as my preamp I will get better sound quality? Will I have any more issues with volume?

Dec 16, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #7 of 22
I have this amp as well, and I really like it a lot. I power it through a AMB mini3 and it sounds pretty good. Drives it decently for a portable amp.
I'm in the process of building a MiniMAX tube amp and I can't wait to complete it and then plug it in to see if it adds additional warmth!!

But yeah, if you simply need to control the volume, just buy any headphone amp and that will do quite nicely.

Dec 18, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #8 of 22
i've messed around with the bellari and not been too impressed - its really small and light, i dont like that. however, it will likely be fine given your setup and goals. understand this ahead of time: you are very close to purchasing a gateway drug... you start messing around with tubes and vinyl and this is what will follow:
1. large lp collections
2. large tube collections
3. rapid proliferation of tube equipment
4. serious upgraditis for tubes, vinyl, preamps, amps, speakers and cables
5. dedicated listening room = conflict with future girlfriend, spouse and maybe neighbors - loud music, too many records, too much audio equipment...
6. buying vinyl and audio equipment in secret and having to sneak it into the house.

you buy the bellari and all the above is likely to follow

Dec 18, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #9 of 22
Oh, I'm already starting to go down the rabbit hole, I can assure you. I actually came to make a new post because I've decided to up my budget and buy some more stuff. I bought around thirty of my favorite albums on vinyl and I'm having a great time listening to then.

After researching a lot more I ended up buying the Cambridge Audio 640P Preamp as it seemed to be favored by most over the Bellari. It has much higher volume than the the LP60's built in preamp, a level that's actually listenable although I could use some more power. It sounds great though, I'm listening to "Album" by Girls and it sounds so much more natural than the CD version, it's really very engaging.

So now I've decided I'm willing to spend up to $500 on a dedicated amp if it will significantly enhance my listening experience, but I'm not sure what I should look for. I'm only planning to listen through headphones exclusively, the aforementioned AD900's, so I'm really interested in anything that will mesh well with their sound signature and also pairs well with vinyl and the 640P.

I'm also open to suggestions for a new turntable if that will improve things at all. That was really the plan all along anyway, I was mainly buying the LP60 as a intro to the vinyl experience to see if it clicked with me, and now that I've done that and it has I'm ready to spend some more. I'm not quite ready to drop $2,000 on a turntable yet, but I am open to reasonably priced suggestions.

I'm sticking with the 640P and the AD900's, I think they sound great together so far, but I'm open to any suggestions for my amp and possibly a new turntable if you guys think that would be worth it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dec 19, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #10 of 22
I've also had the Bellari VP130 and it was decent, nothing special.  I tried a couple of different tubes with it as well.  I then tried the built in phono inputs on my old Pioneer stereo receiver I had tucked away in a closet and it sounded much better and with less noise than the Bellari.  I love vinyl, I could listen all day and not feel fatigued.  Cd's or computer listening I usually take breaks after each album otherwise I tend to develop a headache.  The only thing about vinyl is that bit of background hiss between tracks or in low passages, otherwise I think its the perfect format for audio, it is so smooth sounding to my hears.

I am now in the process of selling the Bellari and thinking about going with the Cambridge 640p or maybe just keeping the Pioneer for now and using the money I make from the Bellari to buy some AKG K701 headphones.  Hmmm,  decisions, decisions...

Also I highy recomend at least a cleaning brush if you don't have one already.  I have the Audioquest Carbon Fiber brush and use it before playing and after playing each side of a record.  You may also want to look into a Spin Clean Record Washer.  Vinyl can get expensive really quick. 
redface.gif

Dec 19, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #11 of 22
go vintage - look for used AR, Thorens etc. if u have the money a usef linn tt is an iconic piece of audiophilia. good budget carts are Shure, Denon, Grado and Sumiko - if you play a lot of rock and blues then also consider a lower end Benz Micro. amps... again go used, maybe find a deal on a used integrated tube amp - lots of choices on audiogon. I think the best phono preamp is the low end Sutherland/acoustech it's 1k but AWESOME. trying to making specific amp and source recs are difficult. beg and borrow what you can. one last thought - there's a giant killer preamp w/phono out there called a juicy music audio blueberry extreme worth it if it can be had..,

Dec 19, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #12 of 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenthumb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love vinyl, I could listen all day and not feel fatigued.  Cd's or computer listening I usually take breaks after each album otherwise I tend to develop a headache.  The only thing about vinyl is that bit of background hiss between tracks or in low passages, otherwise I think its the perfect format for audio, it is so smooth sounding to my hears.

Yeah, it really sounds amazing. I don't really know all the audiophile terminology but it just sounds more natural to me. Music on CD or mp3 sounds cold and lifeless in comparison. The scratchy background noise you mention can get a little annoying but it's not really as bad as I thought it was going to be. Certainly worth the improved sound quality and as you said, the less fatiguing listening experience.

As for the Cambridge 640P, I'd definitely recommend it so far although I don't really have much basis for comparison. My music does sound spectacular though, just want it a bit louder and I'll be completely satisfied.

I've decided to give this amp a shot:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P6BSM2/ref=oss_product

Seems to have been received fairly well in the few places I've seen it discussed so I'm going to try it out. If anyone has any other recommendations don't hesitate though, if I don't end up liking this I'll return it and try something else. I heard it can sound a bit harsh at first though, before it burns in, so I'll give it a proper chance before I make any judgments.

Dec 19, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #13 of 22
I would recommend the Shiit Asgard.  I heard it at a recent meet powering some LCD-2's and was impressed. In fact a vinyl rig is in my future for this exact reason: the sheer visceral quality was kind of ridiculous and I NEED it.  'Nuff said...

Dec 19, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #14 of 22

Quote:
I would recommend the Schiit Asgard.

I think I'll order this as well and keep whichever ends up sounding better. I might even grab the Valhalla too to compare that as well and put Schitt's no hassle 15 day return policy to the test. Just wish they were sold on Amazon so I could get two day shipping with Prime.

The Schitt Products are very classy looking. If they sound as good as they look I should be in for an experience.

I'll update the thread on what sounds better when I've sufficiently compared the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back