Amp for PFEs? (for Macbook/iPhone 3G/iPod Nano 4G)
Jul 16, 2009 at 4:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

supern0va

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I have the Phonak Audeo PFEs, and I feel that they are lacking in the bass department (as do many folks in the IEM subforum).

Hence I am thinking of getting an amp for it, something portable. My sources are:
1) Macbook 75% of the time
2) iPhone 20%
3) iPod Nano 5% (mainly for gym, and I don't really want to carry an amp for this... probably getting another pair of earphones that are easier to drive)

Am hoping to get a cheap solution, definitely under $100. I know the NuForce Icon Mobile is an option, and the upcoming Fiio E7 is an option too.
What other options do I have? Is it possible for LOD with Fiio E5 for the Macbook? I know it is definitely possible for the iPod/iPhone.

Thanks!

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #4 of 7
You are going to want a cheaper, warmer sounding amp.

First question: do you have a line out connector already or is that part of the budget?

E5 isn't a bad option, some people like the ibasso T4 as well. I think there is one on the FS forums.

My recommendations are any warm amp or one that will help out the lower end. Ibasso T4 and Fiio E5 are some good cheap ones that should help out. Don't bother with the Icon Mobile, which is said to have a bright signature, or at least one that won't help out the bass problem.

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are going to want a cheaper, warmer sounding amp.

First question: do you have a line out connector already or is that part of the budget?

E5 isn't a bad option, some people like the ibasso T4 as well. I think there is one on the FS forums.

My recommendations are any warm amp or one that will help out the lower end. Ibasso T4 and Fiio E5 are some good cheap ones that should help out. Don't bother with the Icon Mobile, which is said to have a bright signature, or at least one that won't help out the bass problem.

i do not have a line out connector; i know the ipod/iphone ones are basically those with the apple head; how about for the macbook? is there anything for that? it doesn't have to be part of the budget.

My concern is whether E5 and T4 will double amp if I plug it with the macbook, as pointed out by another thread, here:

Other thread about T4 vs Icon Mobile

thanks for the info abt icon mobile. i read that some1 else in the forum also did not recommend this for pfe (is it tstarn06?)

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #6 of 7
For that, you want a DAC/Amp. You would need to stretch your budget to 187 shipped, or look for one used, but the D2 Boa may be what you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back