Amp for NAD HP 50
Dec 27, 2013 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cntclass1

New Head-Fier
Its that time again!

I have a set of NAD HP50 headphones that should arrive at my door on Monday
beyersmile.png
. I am looking for a portable DAC/AMP that can be used with my laptop, iPhone 4s, and iPod 4th Gen Nano. The primary use of the DAC/AMP will be for these headphones. I would also like to use these with my Monster TPCs. I'm not sure how much I would need to accomplish this cost wise. Can I get something that will work well for this in the $100ish range?

Jun 10, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #3 of 6
Did you end up getting an amplifier for your NAD HP50's?  I just got the HP50's and was wondering if an amp would help.  They sound good, but will they sound better with an amp?  Thanks!

Jun 10, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #4 of 6
I did. I got the FiiO E12 Mont Blanc from Amazon for $130. I absolutely love it. I run it with the Bass on, Crossfeed and Gain at 0. I didn't notice much change in the mid to high range, but it definitely rounded out the bottom end on these. They aren't like the V-Moda Crossfades with overwhelming bass afterwards; but it is definitely more present and goes lower. The sound just seems much fuller afterwards. I almost never listen to them without the amp anymore.

If you are looking for a completely different sound signature; this amp is not for you. If you want it to add a little bass to the bottom end, and allow them to be driven much louder; this is great. I still believe for less than $600 this is the best closed headphone combination you can get.

Jun 14, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #6 of 6
Paul Barton has stated that a design goal of the HP50 was that it be easily driven by an iPod or iPhone. Personally, I'd trust his opinion over that of any high-end reviewer, be it on Head-Fi or writing for a magazine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back