Amp for my MS-1 - Suggestions?
Sep 20, 2009 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Adreneline

100+ Head-Fier
Hello.

I've had my MS-1i for about 3-4 months now and I'm enjoying them greatly. I tried putting them directly into my sound card (Xonar DX) and did not like it at all. Boomy bass, smaller sound stage, and overall not as good.

I plug them in my (self-amped) speakers - M-Audio AV40, which are connected to my Xonar DX. The speakers have an actual amp that powers the headphones, it's not just a pass-through.

Now, I don't want to keep turning on my speakers just for the great amp. I want a dedicated amp sometime in the future (cheaper preferred!). What worries me is, these speakers were $170, and yet there are a few people on this forum (who posted a long time ago), saying they ran their HD600/650's on these speaker amps. They said it sounded good.

So would it be hard to surpass my speaker amp? I couldn't imagine it being that good, but it does sound great. I want to hopefully keep this under $150, $200 if absolutely necessary. My main goal is to have a stand alone amp, but if it can even sound greater, that'll be a nice plus. I do not need portable.

My DAC (Xonar DX sound card) is more than enough. Just need an amp.

Sep 20, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nike T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIR, the Little Dot I+ would do well with them. They're good with those low impedence phones like grados and alessandros.

Is that enough? I'd be happy with that.

Where would I go about to get this? I live in BC, Canada.

Sep 20, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 4
You can buy the Little Dot amps online, but I have read some negative feedback re. distortion and an overall harsh sound, so I would read up on the burn-in required for these amps. I suspect that most tube amps dont sound good immediately, and I know that LD make SS as well as tube amps, but felt I should pass this on before you buy anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back