Amp for my Denon D5000
Oct 24, 2007 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Sinsen

100+ Head-Fier
Hello.

I bought my D5000's today, and so the saving up for a nice amp begins.

Reading and searching a bit on the forums it seems that the natural choice is a Corda Opera, right?

That sums up my budget as well, the Opera is really at the maximum of what I can afford (and explain to my wife).

Any other suggestions?

By the way, so far I like the way the cans sound with my Corda Move, but I feel that the soundstage should be bigger, and that it should have better control when there is "lots of sound at the same time".

Oct 24, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #3 of 25
My sources will be a NAD C542 and a Squeezebox for now.

But I am planning on setting up my own small headphone corner in my appartment, but I have not decided what source I will use for that.

Oct 25, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by yossi126 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't go wrong going with the Opera, but what source you have? there are better dacs than the one inside the opera.

When you ask about my sources, and mention the built in dac, does that mean, that if I do not need the dac, there are other amps I should consider instead?

Obviously one alternative is the analog Opera... any other suggestions?

Oct 25, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #7 of 25
Thank's for your replies. It might seem like the best choice is to go for the Opera.

As I saw mentioned in another post, only good things have been said about it so far.

I really like the design of the GS-1 though...

Oct 25, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #8 of 25
If you feel like getting a less-expensive amp while you wait for the Opera, I'd recommend the Eddie Current EC/SS. It's about half the cost of an Opera and has received good reviews around here. Plus it was designed around headphones that are similar to the Denon D2000/5000 in that they are low-impedance and current hungry. I just bought one and to my ear it sounds absolutely amazing with my Denon AH-D2000s.

Oct 25, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 25
The Cantate is a scaled down Opera if budget is an object. I thought the Opera did my ex-D2000s justice. I know the Opera DAC isn't the primo top of the line DAC you can get ignoring cost, but that really winds up being the point starting out. It's a nice add-on that didn't add that much to the cost of the amp.

Skylab has D5000s and both Opera and Cantate so you may want to PM him. My understanding is a D2000 and 5000 are pretty similar sonically.

Oct 25, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmcs414 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you feel like getting a less-expensive amp while you wait for the Opera, I'd recommend the Eddie Current EC/SS. It's about half the cost of an Opera and has received good reviews around here. Plus it was designed around headphones that are similar to the Denon D2000/5000 in that they are low-impedance and current hungry. I just bought one and to my ear it sounds absolutely amazing with my Denon AH-D2000s.

It would be wrong to say that price is not an issue. But I try to make the excuse that the purchase of a nice amp is something that I will not do very often (heh, I hope), so I do not think I will be buying an amp to use while I save up.

So, then I guess I need to find out if the price difference between the Cantate and the Opera is worth it.

Oct 25, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #11 of 25
If you are deliberating between Meier amps, then check out Skylabs comprehensive comparison thread here.

From what I've gathered, it's best to shoot for the Arietta if you don't want to spend the scrilla on the Opera, and it seems that the Opera is a worthwhile step up from the Cantate.

Oct 25, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by joeq70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are deliberating between Meier amps, then check out Skylabs comprehensive comparison thread here.

From what I've gathered, it's best to shoot for the Arietta if you don't want to spend the scrilla on the Opera, and it seems that the Opera is a worthwhile step up from the Cantate.

Hmm... I read that thread, but I did not really notice your point before. And, the Arietta certainly is affordable.

Bah, I feel that I have been through this before, the more you try to decide on a purchase, the more confused you get
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 25, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... I read that thread, but I did not really notice your point before. And, the Arietta certainly is affordable.

Bah, I feel that I have been through this before, the more you try to decide on a purchase, the more confused you get
smily_headphones1.gif

It does seem amazing. Sometimes here, it seems "guidance" is a 1 word oxymoron.

Bazile

Oct 26, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #14 of 25
I have the D5000 with the GS-1 with stepped attenuator. It sounds incredible.
The detailed characteristic of the GS-1 compensates the sound signature of the D5000. I really like this combination.
I tried them with a Heed and also a Stello and the GS-1 was the best by far.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Oct 26, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #15 of 25
I am using them with a WA6 as I write this and it sounds sweet but does much better balanced from my Apache. Look for both D2000 and D5000 treads. They have the same drivers but more people own the D2000 because of the price and you may get more info searching there.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back