Amp for my beyerdynamic dt531
Oct 2, 2004 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jlw

Head-Fier
Hi!
I need a amp for my beyerdynamic dt531.
I uses the dt531 when I listen to music infront of my computer, and playing video games.

Recomendations?
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.headsave.com are they good?

Oct 2, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 15
I use a Rega Ear with mine (as does a friend of mine on another forum) and for the low cost its a very good match. The Rega has a certain groove to the sound which combines with the 531's already groovy sound and the result is very lively, with punchy bass, albeit on the bright side, but I will recommend it as a good quality amp.

One of the Corda's would probably be good too.

Oct 3, 2004 at 2:27 AM Post #3 of 15
jlw: Fortunately, the DT531 is not very demanding, so it works nicely with quite a wide range of amps (it still grows with better amps, though) - a PortaCorda(II) already does a fairly fine job driving it, so I'd assume pretty much the same for Norm's Headsave models...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Oct 3, 2004 at 5:42 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budley007
These cans sound very good with my Prehead and Melos.

...which both will very much be in jlw's price range, when he asks about the Headsaves.
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif
Where's my overkill bell?
biggrin.gif

Grinnings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Oct 4, 2004 at 5:07 AM Post #8 of 15
Well JLW, I honestly don't recognize that amp, so I can't help you there. What I can tell you is that your DT531s will definitely improve with proper amplification.

As I've mentioned before, the DT531s sound very thin, flat and boring when driven directly from my sources. The amplifier(s) made a world of difference. They sound like different headphones. This is just my personal experience, but many people will tell you that there are quite a few headphones with the same kind of characteristic.

The only headphones I've heard that do not need an amplifier for major improvement were a couple of Grado models. They do sound better with the right amplifier, but are not starving for power like the DT531s. Goodluck with your research.

Oct 4, 2004 at 11:00 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
I had one. Certainly not a rip off at its price, it gives a fairly decent sound for the price of a night in the local and is suited to budget headphones. The DT531 is not particularly fussy either.

will i hear any differ if I uses soundcard -> amp -> dt531 or porta pros?

Oct 5, 2004 at 8:04 PM Post #13 of 15
Got mine today!
smily_headphones1.gif

Works great!

But it's to mutch BAS I think.

i must have the TREBLE at max in my computer, and the bass < half the way of the meter.

Better sound!

maybe better if I get expensive RCA cabels?

the brand of mine is HMEGA

Oct 5, 2004 at 9:21 PM Post #14 of 15
I wouldnt waste money trying to use cables as tone controls. I am surprised you find too much bass, not a complaint I feel I could ever level at the DT531, its surely there, but its hardly overwhelming.

Oct 6, 2004 at 4:03 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlw
Got mine today!
smily_headphones1.gif

Works great!

But it's to mutch BAS I think.

i must have the TREBLE at max in my computer, and the bass < half the way of the meter.

Better sound!

maybe better if I get expensive RCA cabels?

the brand of mine is HMEGA

I'd recommend you remove any equalization settings on you computer for the moment and just make sure you have decent interconnect. Don't go overboard with expensive interconnects till you review heavily the characteristics of those cables. ICs are a tweak option and it will take some time before you know which way to go.

Give the amp>Dt531 combo a couple of weeks before you invest more money. IMHO the DT531s take some time to "loosen up" and if your amp is brand new, there's a possibilty it will need some burn-in as well.

Most of my concern will be your "brain burn-in". Your opinion of what your setup sounds like now will most likely change with more use. Once you feel you've reached a plateau and your setup's characteristics have been well established, then would be the time to evaluate more upgrades.

Right now, at this stage of your listening experience with new equipment, I honestly think you'd be "flying blind" with expensive upgrades based on just a few days of testing.

I've been with 2 headphones, 2 amps and 3 different sources for a couple of months now and I'm still wary of any expensive upgrades. At this point, I'm still evaluating strengths and weaknesses.

Some things just take time. Budget constraints usually are there to pace the growth, but seeing that you're already considering IC upgrades, I just wanted you make sure that your decision isn't a rash one. Enjoy your new hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back