amp for ms2
Apr 1, 2006 at 9:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Loozer

New Head-Fier
audiophile usb as source.
headroom micro amp + dac or gilmore lite with dedicated power supply.
im not sure, but do i have to use the dedicated power supply when i have 220V? (sweden).

if i dont need the dedicated powersupply, should micro DAC and gilmore lite be fine then?

Apr 2, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #4 of 14
A tube amp makes Grado and Alessandro sing. Perhaps you sould consider the Mapletree Ear Purist + HD. Check it out at: http://mapletreeaudio.com/

Ear+HDyellow.jpg

Ear+HDyellowunder.jpg

Good luck.

Apr 2, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
I'd say gilmore lite, since it was pretty much designed to drive Grados:

http://headwize.com/projects/showfil...lmore3_prj.htm

It's quite possible (likely even?) that I'm mistaken, but my understanding was that he had built them for Joe Grados, which (again, I may be mistaken, since I haven't really had a chance to compare them well) I have read don't really sound at all like John Grados. The most common complaint leveled at both Grados in general (the metalized ones in particular) and the Gilmore Lite is brightness, so my knee jerk reaction would be to avoid that particular combination. That said, there seem to be a lot of people that like in nonetheless. For what it's worth, while I like the Micro DAC, I wasn't impressed at all with the Micro amp. Just my personal biases, I suppose.

As for the voltage issue, I'm sure that if you get the dedicated supply Justin will set the input voltage to whatever you need it to be. I wouldn't wory about it.

Apr 2, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #6 of 14
MS2 loves tubes IMHO, unless youre after the quick snappy sound of a good solid state amp... millet for starters of youre on a budget.

Garrett

Apr 2, 2006 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 14
Try some OPA627 or 637
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loozer
hmm, many different opinions
smily_headphones1.gif

not much about the DAC tho, so i guess my soundcard is good enough so its better to spend the cash on a better amp?

budget ~600$

Or it might be because people agree with you that the micro DAC is excellent.

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #10 of 14
ah
smily_headphones1.gif

budgetproblem then
frown.gif

gilmore lite will cost 500$ if i cant use it without the dedicated power supply.
and the tube amp cost 600$

maybe its worth that cash for the amps? so i should spend 900$ total instead?

Apr 2, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 14
I remember thinking that there was a nice synergy between my ms2 & the hornet before I sold the ms2. Micro DAC + Hornet is a good combo & IMO the Hornet is a great match w/Grados.

Apr 4, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loozer
ah
smily_headphones1.gif

budgetproblem then
frown.gif

gilmore lite will cost 500$ if i cant use it without the dedicated power supply.
and the tube amp cost 600$

maybe its worth that cash for the amps? so i should spend 900$ total instead?

Sorry, I read your first post wrong ... I didn't think you'd need the dedicated powersupply, but looking at the socket, I'm not sure anymore. Have you looked around for 30 V powersupplies? Justin might know where you can get them. I was going to suggest asking around here, but you already have ...

If you're going to end up spending that much anyway, I would consider Jan Meier's amps (a headfive, perhaps? Not sure if he's still taking orders ... ). He's based in Europe, so there shouldn't be any problems there.

edit: Oh, and I guess if you were considering the Micro DAC anyway, the Corda Aria (by Meier Audio) might be appealing to you. I almost can't believe that it's selling for the same price as the "old" Corda HA-1 Mk-II.

Apr 7, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #14 of 14
Hi Loozer,

i don't know if headfive amp and the micro DAC sound gret or not, but i would just alert you about a great european amp who sounds great with my MS2!
I've just recieved from Finland a corda aria.
My previous source (without amp) was an Maudio audiophile USB. The new aria complitly beats the audiophile soundcard. The integrated dac is great. MS2 sounds great with this amp. Consider the aria as reliable, affordable, and as a great product. You will spare money, avoid troubles about converters, and reduce shipping fees.

That was my advice
bye

Users who are viewing this thread

Back