Amp for Monoprice 8323
Mar 25, 2013 at 12:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

auser

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody

I'm looking for a decent Headphone Amp which works good for my Monoprice 8323 in combination with a MacBook Pro.
Bass is very important, but clear highs as well. I listen to a lot of Hip Hop, never the less it should improve sound quality for other genres as well. Thanks for all you advice!

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #2 of 6
I have a monoprice 8323 as well.  It's a great sounding set of cans.  I have a JVC HANC250 that this replaces which I paid about $100 for years ago.  The 8323 is amazing and destroys the sound quality of the HANC250.  Its also excellent at isolating noise.  

For now, I use my 8323 through a Creative Labs 70SB072000000 Xmod USB Sound Card.  It sounds great,  I love the 3d effects- it sounds like surround sound- even though it's likely possible to get similar sound through a software program or plugin.  Anyway, the xmod sounds good although it's not a true amp/dac.  

Anyone use one of these Xmods?  Is it worth an upgrade say to an Fiio E07K?  What will be the difference in sound be?  Does it have to be a flac file to hear any difference? How much difference will a desktop vs. portable amp/dac sound?   Looking for audiofrog quality, naturally.

Ribbit,

-AudioFrog

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
thanks audiofrog! do you have any experience with fiio? could you recommend a certain fiio product?

I can comment on a few Fiio products, but not directly for the Monoprice cans you have. The E07K is truly excellent and if you are looking at the Fiio line I would highly recommend it. I also have tried the E10 which is meh, I basically just used it at work to watch movies and it's not an impressive unit but it does have a lot of juice. I also have the E12 and it's good but it's pretty colored IMO, if I could go back I wouldn't have bought it. The E12 is pretty powerful as well but it's just not for me. I would say the E07K is more neutral when compared to the E12. In short I would say if you are looking at Fiio's, save money and get the E07K because it's a really great unit for the price.

Mar 29, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #6 of 6
Where do you go to try all these fiio products?  Looks like you are in New Jersey, I'm in Philadelphia.  For your profile, it looks like you owned a Schiit Lyr.  I know that's much more expensive, but how do they compare?  Thanks!
-AudioFrog

Users who are viewing this thread

Back