Amp for Linbrook Sigs... I give up, help me..
Oct 27, 2006 at 2:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

grandenigma1

Member of the Trade:Enigma Audio
Please help me create a list so I know where to start my hunt for a new amp for my Tyler Acoustic Linbrook Sigs.

I am looking for a warm lush amp that has lots of power at low volume... I am thinking something mosfet class A... but your thoughts are more then welcome and greatly appreciated.

So far I am considering:

BAT VK-200
Aleph 30

My budget is $1,400 or so.

Oct 27, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
Please help me create a list so I know where to start my hunt for a new amp for my Tyler Acoustic Linbrook Sigs.

I am looking for a warm lush amp that has lots of power at low volume... I am thinking something mosfet class A... but your thoughts are more then welcome and greatly appreciated.

So far I am considering:

Rotel 1090
NAD S200
Aleph 30
Krell 400xi

My budget is $1,400 or so.

What amp are you trying to impove upon, and in what specific ways?
I do not like the amps you mentioned, except the Aleph 30, but even Pass is not particularly "lush."

I also know from experience that when people are looking for "warm and lush" in an amp, that's actually not what they really want. Most people thirst for a microdynamically "alive" amp that doesn't sound dead and flat at lower volume. If the said amp stays fairly neutral tonally, music will sound naturally warm and lush Because of the resolution, not lack/rolling thereof.

This is quite frankly difficult to accomplish, especially with SS, even more so with high-power SS amps. Good tube amps do this easier, but it sounds like you want to stick with SS.

Oct 27, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 7
I thought the NAD Master Series integrated would definitely fall under the 'lush' category, but I haven't heard their "lower end" stuff, so I can't make any promises. However, I've got nothing but compliments about the company's overall workmanship and quality. Also, I LOVE my Aleph 3, but if you're looking for warmth, it's not the place to go; it's all about staying out of the way of the signal. (I haven't heard the 30, but I would guess that it has the same general sound signature).

Oct 27, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #4 of 7
I'm enjoying the Rotel 1090 well enough with my linbrook sig monitors
biggrin.gif

Oct 27, 2006 at 11:33 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
What amp are you trying to impove upon, and in what specific ways?
I do not like the amps you mentioned, except the Aleph 30, but even Pass is not particularly "lush."

I also know from experience that when people are looking for "warm and lush" in an amp, that's actually not what they really want. Most people thirst for a microdynamically "alive" amp that doesn't sound dead and flat at lower volume. If the said amp stays fairly neutral tonally, music will sound naturally warm and lush Because of the resolution, not lack/rolling thereof.

This is quite frankly difficult to accomplish, especially with SS, even more so with high-power SS amps. Good tube amps do this easier, but it sounds like you want to stick with SS.

I am not against tubes but with the said budget I think it might be hard to find a decent tube amp.

That said I currently have a Onix A-60... was using it with my Ascend Acoustics previously. With the Linbrooks the amp sounds a bit bright and a bit on the thin side. I would not mind something that rolled off the highs a bit if need be.

I love the Senn sonic signature if we relate this to headphone world.

And yes, I could do without the dead and flat sound.

Oct 27, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 7
On the contrary, much better deals can be found on serious quality tube amps!

This Legend Starlet is an excellent amp, period, not just for the price.
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ube&1166512037

Another good example is this EAR amp.
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ube&1166129959

On the SS side, I really can't come up with sonic equivalents to tube amps like above at the prices. The "good enough" SS amps I can think of include the likes of Rowland(non digital ones), Bedini, Son of Ampzilla, Electrocompaniet, etc, all of which clock in at higher $$ even used...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back