Amp for LCD-3 Poll
Feb 19, 2013 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Mattimis

Head-Fier
Looking to upgrade my amp for my LCD-3's my budget is around 1,000usd

I have been looking at the Schiit Mjolnir, Violectric HPA V200, and the Burson Soloist

Thanks,
Matt

Feb 20, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #2 of 15
I made this exact thread for my LCD-2's. I got a mix of answers, but basically you will have to invest in a set of balanced cables for LCD-3 as well. I went with Mjolnir and Gungnir just because I haven't bought from the other two brands before. I'm very happy with the way Mjolnir is developing but perhaps I am even more impressed by the DAC.

I hear equally good things about all three and the Burson I have also verified to be an amazing amp in it's own right. The V200 seems to be extremely popular as well with LCD-2.

Feb 21, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #3 of 15
If going balanced: Mjolnir

Single ended: Soloist, 

On his review, Skylab recommended the Soloist with the LCD-3. He seems to love that combination. 

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #4 of 15
Matt,

What are you currently using? What music do you listen to? Any particular sound you are looking for? Etc etc etc

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:
Matt,

What are you currently using? What music do you listen to? Any particular sound you are looking for? Etc etc etc

I left it pretty vague because I listen to nearly everything, and I dont have any particular sound im looking for. I really just want to make my lcd-3's shine. I am fairly certain at this point that I'll be going with the Mjolnir simply because they have such astounding reviews and seem to be much desired with the LCD-3. More so than any amp I can find near my price point.

Feb 22, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #6 of 15
Well we're on the same page then. I have Mjolnir/Gungnir and LCD-2s and will be upgrading to the LCD-3s very soon

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #7 of 15
I chose the Soloist for my upcoming LCD3. I really hope this combo jives for me.

I just received my Soloist today and it's AMAZING with my LCD2.2. A significant step up from my HA160.

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
I chose the Soloist for my upcoming LCD3. I really hope this combo jives for me.

I just received my Soloist today and it's AMAZING with my LCD2.2. A significant step up from my HA160.

I am sure you will be happy no matter what, atleast that was the conclusion I came to. I went with the Mjolnir because I wanted to run balanced, but I would have been happy with any one of the amps in the poll.

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:
I am sure you will be happy no matter what, atleast that was the conclusion I came to. I went with the Mjolnir because I wanted to run balanced, but I would have been happy with any one of the amps in the poll.

Oh. I think we need a Balanced version of the Solo 
wink.gif

Enjoy man! 

Feb 28, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #11 of 15
I ordered my LCD-3s yesterday... will be selling my 2s. I am curious to hear your impressions of your new rig once setup and the comparisons to the previous. Looks like we'll both wind yp with the same setup in the end 

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #12 of 15
I bought a LCD3, and really don't know whart to take.
DAC+AMP our DAC/AMP:
With my research i found Schiit MAGNIR+MOLJNIR or Audio-GD 27, what do you think or if you have a better option?
I am listening Rock/Hard Rock/Post Rock.
Ty

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #15 of 15
Gungnir/Mjolnir is the safe choice. They also have the evaluation period if you do/don't like the setup. Still very happy with my rig. It's nice to sleep at night knowing there isn't anything I should have to upgrade to without spending 2x the cost of the stack just for the amp section alone. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back