Amp for K702?
Jan 3, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #16 of 21
If you dont mind sound cards, the Asus Xonar Essence STX can be a decent choice @ $200. It uses a TPA6120A2 for amplification and Burr Brown chips for D/A. I myself am planning to get one of them for my K601's. For the money, i dont think there are better options.

Jan 3, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #17 of 21
You should try Shanling PH100 before you save up to 500usd. I'm assuring you it doesn't sound lifeless, rather punchy with tightest bass I've heard with any cans. Low end quantity is another story. Arguable sufficient with many music styles but not with all. Depends on yours music preferences I guess.

Drawback with the amp is that every time you want to listen you need to wait at least an hour to sound good. Once it reach working temperature I can listen to this combo for many hours.

Jan 4, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #20 of 21
i'd second mrarroyo, the mf x-cans do have a synergy with the k701/2. you should upgrade the wallwart and buy a switch, and you may upgrade the tubes.
i don't think tpa6120a2 based amps would suffice: the chip as a maximum output power of 138mW / channel and is designed for direct output. therefore an added output stage will degrade the sound. the akgs are quite insensitive and power hungry.

Jan 4, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by newmusicfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'd second mrarroyo, the mf x-cans do have a synergy with the k701/2. you should upgrade the wallwart and buy a switch, and you may upgrade the tubes.
i don't think tpa6120a2 based amps would suffice: the chip as a maximum output power of 138mW / channel and is designed for direct output. therefore an added output stage will degrade the sound. the akgs are quite insensitive and power hungry.

I will third that. I have the X-CANS and V8P and both drive the AKGs with ease and really open them up so that you really appreciate their detail and sound stage. The X-CANS and V2 and sometimes V3 are often on ebay and can easily be modded (apparently, I'm no electrician) kits from Rock Grotto

Headphone amp Hobby Page, Head amp, Headphone amplifier, headphone amplifier kit, headphone amp UK, DIY headphone amplifier UK, X-Can V2, X-can V2 mods, B-tech 928, White noise audio headphone amplifier, Graham slee solo, X-psu, Chiarra andante, head

The V8P is out of the price range and cannot be modded as MF have glued a lot of components into it. But, a modded X-CANS is very close to the V8P. The build quality is also very high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back