Amp for K601 advice (DIY? / UK)
Apr 18, 2009 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Kier

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Recently got some K601's with your help, and looking to get or build an amp for them as at the moment I'm left just straight out of my Macbook Pro...
redface.gif

I'm new to Hi-Fi in general and have never owned an amp before (only guitars amps
ph34r.gif
), but I'm handy with a soldering iron and like DIY (have made a few guitar effects pedals and things)

I don't have a lot of money so it'll have to be quite cheap - but if I go DIY it could be a slow build until I get a job (
frown.gif
)

I've had a look at some projects on HeadWize - don't know whether to go SS or Valve though...

The 6AS7 OTL amp by Aren van Waarde looks nice, but would it suit the K601 decently? being OTL and the K601's being 120 ohm?

Any advice really appreciated,

Thanks!

Apr 18, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 4
Is £16.75 cheap enough?

Along with quite a few others, I've bought the SCHA Headphone amp from Jaycar Electronics and built it up. Part numbers are KC5417 for the amp, and KC5418 for the PSU.

Add a 30VA toroid, a case and a volume control, and you have a half decent amp for your money, to get you started.

However, the beast is let out of the bag once you remove some components, change the op-amp and add a JLH PSRR board (noise reducer). This amp then becomes phenomenal, and compares well with amps worth a whole lot more. There are more modifications that can be made as money and time allows.

The modifications are detailed here: Rock Grotto Audio Forum - SCHA Zone (Jaycar Headamp) and there is a load of support on the forum.

This amp is seriously good, and drives my K701s with ease. Don't be put off by the low price. This IS an audio bargain, and those who judge by price alone will miss out big style.

Apr 18, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 4
It looks like Wilf has got me beat on price. I didn't realize the Jaycars were that cheap.

I don't know anything about the Van Waarde amp, so I can't comment on it's suitability for the K601's. You would be dealing with high voltages (150V DC) which can be dangerous for a newbie.

There are a number of Hybrid amps that give you much of the tube sound with safer voltages. I would suggest the CTH: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/ver...id-amp-398839/, which drives my K601's very well, and it sounds really nice. Kits are around $140US.

Another hybrid option might be the "Super Simple 6Dj8 Headphone amp: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/sup...ne-amp-402067/. The boards are on ebay: 6DJ8 Single End Tube Head Phone Amp Bare PCB for DIY - eBay (item 300308846777 end time Apr-25-09 11:19:04 PDT)
You could probably build one of those for around $100US..

Apr 20, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #4 of 4
just finished up my millet max dude,

Needs casing but my k601s sound awesome with it!

think the new version is out so thats prob an option?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back