Amp for K501
Feb 4, 2006 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

J W

500+ Head-Fier
I know this has been debated quite a bit, but I'm having trouble locating these amps.

So far, peopel seem to be high on tube amps and Hornets for use with k501s. I, unfortunately, am not quite ready to shell out ~400 for a hornet. So, what are some decent-good amps for use with k501s that cost around $250 or less? Also, where could I find them?

Feb 4, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #2 of 6
My maxed out Pimeta with OPA627 on L/R (AD8610 on the ground channel) seems to have a special synergy with the K501. It's not as good with my DT880, but still pretty good sounding. You can get maxed out "home" Pimetas for around $200, typically. This is about the price point where PPAs start to become viable though, which I think is the reason why "home" Pimetas are not as common as many other amps.

Feb 4, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #4 of 6
i think there are a few satisfying members here who use M3 with K501. I'm one of them
biggrin.gif
Rockhopperaudio has a basic M3 for 275$. I'm not sure if it includes power supply though.

Feb 4, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #5 of 6
I'm actually a MINT fan... it's relatively cheap, portable, capable of driving many headphones with 18V, and it's a nice amp... META42

Feb 4, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by J W
Thanks for the reply. Do you know of any place I could buy one of those amps from, or any particular person I could have build one for me?

Now that JMT is out of business I'm not sure... I think MisterX builds them. Also try PM'ing Tangent or Voodoochile, they could at least refer you to somebody.

P.S. given the way the M3 (M-cubed) is supposed to sound, it seems like a likely candidate as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back