amp for ipod+sennheiser hd580
Dec 18, 2002 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ehlfg

New Head-Fier
Greetings!

I'm just re-entering the audio world after a long hiatus. I went through a period in which I was heavily into music and was upgrading audio components constantly. Then, for some reason, I just stopped. The upgrade cycle came to a screeching halt, and I pretty much stopped listening to music at all.

Now, it's years later and I'm starting to really enjoy music again. Unfortunately, I'm also starting to buy new components again -- this time mostly portable.

I've got a 20GB iPod under the tree, and I just received a PX100 and PX200 from HeadRoom for portable use without an amp. The NewEgg deal on the HD580 was too good to pass up, so I have that on order to use at home. (I really liked my long-dead Sennheiser headphones in my last go-around. Comfort is important to me, which weighed in for Sennheiser rather than Grado.)

From what I've read on Head-Fi, the HD580 might be a bit disappointing on an iPod without an amp. So I'm considering alternatives:
  1. old NAD 1020 preamp that I have lying around, victim of a previous upgrade cycle (free)
  2. Porta Corda ($169)
  3. Xin's Super Mini ($99)
  4. anything else? (I'm not quite sure how much a good Meta42 for this configuration would cost.)
My budget is around $150, so the Porta Corda (new) might be a stretch. I'm not interested in spending more. (Kids' college funds, you know.)

Any thoughts or advice? I mostly listen to rock and folk, and I'm more interested in the quality of vocals than thumping bass. My home speakers are some ancient Spendors, which to my ears have nicely controlled bass but which other people may find bass-deficient.

At this point, I also like good industrial design -- hence the iPod. So I might prefer the look and feel of a good commercial amp to a DIY. The Xin Super-Mini with digital pot looked OK in pictures I've seen, but I don't know how people generally build Meta42s.

Dec 18, 2002 at 9:32 PM Post #2 of 9
Try that NAD preamp first, and see how you like it. If you don't feel it's good enough, I'd take a look at a META42 in that price range. You can definitely get someone to build one for you (contact Tangent, KurtW, or JMT)

Dec 18, 2002 at 10:39 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Any thoughts or advice? I mostly listen to rock and folk, and I'm more interested in the quality of vocals than thumping bass.

The iPod, as you know, does not have a line-out, so using an amp will most likely produce all the benefits possible. That said, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest getting a pair of Grado SR-60s. Vocals are what Grados are for, IMHO. The SR-60s can be easily driven by an iPod as well. Just a thought.
BTW, welcome to Head-Fi, ehlfg!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2002 at 11:36 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the replies, antness and joelongwood. Boy, that was quick!

I probably will try the NAD first, as I already have it. The main disadvantage is that it's a bit unwieldy to lug around the house, so it's pretty much a single-station solution.

The Grado SR60 was attractive (gauging solely on Head-Fi posts), but I was dissuaded by all the posts complaining about comfort. If they're not comfortable, I'm not going to wear them.

I've already ordered the HD580, so I'll try first to make them work for me. What I'm looking for is a way to enjoy the iPod and HD580 around the house.

joelongwood: do you mean that pretty much any amplifier would do the job, given that the iPod doesn't have line out? That would argue for picking the least expensive option, no? CMoy? Boosteroo?
wink.gif

Dec 19, 2002 at 4:44 AM Post #6 of 9
A coworker brought in his 20GB iPod + Ety4p combo a few weeks ago and I happened to have my META42 at work that day (a basic one with stock parts costing $55). Of course I also have my HD580 at work. He wanted to see if he could hear the difference an amp would make so we plugged the HD580s into the iPod. They sounded ok to me, but not all that great. He'd never heard the HD580 before. Enter the META42. Wow, what a difference. I noticed the improvement instantly, but waited to see what he would say since he'd never tried a dedicated headphone amp before. He heard it too and was quite amazed at the difference. So if a headphone amp newbie can tell the difference with a headphone he's never heard before, I think I can safely say that a META42, even a basic one, will make a large difference with your iPod+HD580 combo. Hope this helps...

Dec 19, 2002 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 9
The PX100 and PX200 are also going under the tree, so I won't be able to say anything about them until next week. I've never heard an SR60, so I wouldn't be able to compare against anything except the HD580.

Wow -- everyone is recommending the META42. I'm a bit surprised that there's no comment about the Porta Corda or Xin's Super Mini. Is the META42 that much better?

Dec 20, 2002 at 7:27 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by ehlfg
The PX100 and PX200 are also going under the tree, so I won't be able to say anything about them until next week. I've never heard an SR60, so I wouldn't be able to compare against anything except the HD580.

Wow -- everyone is recommending the META42. I'm a bit surprised that there's no comment about the Porta Corda or Xin's Super Mini. Is the META42 that much better?

I've played with the iPod/SuperMini/HD580&600 combination. With the Senns, I don't feel the iPod alone has enough dynamic headroom. Add the SuperMini, however, and they really come alive. Xin's SuperMini is so slick I'd want one even if I had every other portable amp around. You can't go wrong, IMO.

Spad

Dec 20, 2002 at 1:52 PM Post #9 of 9
Fixup Super Mini Amp V3 a is the most beautiful thing I've heard with my Etys Er4 AND hd 600 since I listen to music (35 years of a life in high-end freak research). It is so small that you will forget you are not with a 3000$ stuff and look for it! where is my amp??No!? yes! incredible! go try it! don't tell your friends, wait till you recieve yours!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back