AMP for Iphone- Worth It? Which One?
Jul 27, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:
Coming from someone of a similar age, I can safely say most teenagers typically prefer IEM's. They're easier to transport, less obtrusive, and useful during class
wink.gif

A RE0 would be great gift! If you're willing to go up in price, I think a pair of EPH-100 would be great as well; it is easier to insert than the over-ear IEM's.

If he gets her IEM's, she has to stay away from Head-fi. I originally came here satisfied with my Shure SE215 and am now multiple pairs of IEM's in the hole and with a drawer full of tips.

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:
please explain,  if the role of any headphone is not to amplify the analog signal sent by the headphone out of the said device and turn it into sound waves the ear can recognize.

Good headphones are not supposed to "amplify" the original signal. They should convert the signal into sound waves at the precise volume.

Most media players already have a built-in amp to amplify the signal, there is no need for the headphones to amplify that signal further.

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:

Good headphones are not supposed to "amplify" the original signal. They should convert the signal into sound waves at the precise volume.

Most media players already have a built-in amp to amplify the signal, there is no need for the headphones to amplify that signal further.

Yes, you are right, thanks for that!

Headphones are not supposed to amplify the original signal.  What I meant to communicate( but failed ) is that all headphones take a small analog electrical signal and convert it to sound waves as you so well stated. Yes, some headphones are more efficient and hence will sound louder than some other headphones.  As you noted headphones need not amplify that signal further.

Perhaps it is the semantics and the expression thereof that are at the heart of "Our Martin's" post. 

Sep 13, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:
Sorry my friend but have you ever heard them with an ipod? p.s i don't want an argument with you, if you have heard them with an ipod you would know what i am talking about!

no argument here!

You mentioned in your post a few back that you recommended Grados.  I have owned and used Grados with an ipod, thank you, they work like all headphones.  I have not heard the igrados specifically, but they are just headphones and they work like all others unless they are hiding an amp in there somewhere.

If you are trying to suggest via the words "igrados amplify the sound with an ipod"  that the igrados sound louder than some other headphones when plugged into an ipod, then SURE lots of headphones can sound louder than lots of other headphones.  If that is not what you are trying to communicate then I have no idea what you are talking about, sorry.

Not intending to get in an argument at all, just sometimes semantics and perhaps another version of the English language can get in the way some times.
normal_smile .gif

Sep 13, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:
no argument here!

You mentioned in your post a few back that you recommended Grados.  I have owned and used Grados with an ipod, thank you, they work like all headphones.  I have not heard the igrados specifically, but they are just headphones and they work like all others unless they are hiding an amp in there somewhere.

If you are trying to suggest via the words "igrados amplify the sound with an ipod"  that the igrados sound louder than some other headphones when plugged into an ipod, then SURE lots of headphones can sound louder than lots of other headphones.  If that is not what you are trying to communicate then I have no idea what you are talking about, sorry.

Not intending to get in an argument at all, just sometimes semantics and perhaps another version of the English language can get in the way some times.
normal_smile%20.gif

Well if you have never heard them you wouldn't know what i am talkng about would you! P.s i am english..I am on about igrados they are made for portable players not ps1000s..I have got the best hifi home cinema money can buy from krell westlake audio sim2 smX bowers and wilkins ct800s thor's hammer sub things that you have just read about!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back