Amp for iAudio sources
Sep 21, 2008 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Darker

New Head-Fier
Hi there, I'm quite new to the community as you may have noticed. And I'm also quite new to the audiophile hobby but I like it a lot already!
I recently purchased the SE530's and I'm so far pleased with them.
But as most of you would say. There's room for improvement - and I agree, hence the reason I'm writing this post. Because I need a amplifier to boost my music experience with the SE530's (and the SR60's)

but there is a problem, my source (iAudio 7) does not seem to have 3.5-mm stereo headphone jack that I've seen on the iPods and so far I've only seen amps used with the iPods and it's making me a bit concerned... So the question is.

Is it possible to use a portable Amp (tomahawk, hornet, RSA) with iAudio 7 as source having only usb 2.0 port and Line-In?

Thanks in advance!

Sep 21, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the reply, the PengiunAmp seemed a bit childish at the first glance but then I realised that it's quite good and its not expensive god damn it!
smily_headphones1.gif

About the cables, do anyone think I could just a normal line-in cable to use the amp?

Sep 21, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...my source (iAudio 7) does not seem to have 3.5-mm stereo headphone jack...

Thanks in advance!

One of us is confused. You can use the 3.5mm headphone jack as a line out. You would need a simple 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable(aka: mini to mini) to use with a portable amp. It is fine to amp the headphone out with the i7. Many people do this and the result is very good.

Sep 21, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of us is confused...

Nope. I am too, that's two!

Yes, the I7 has a 3.5mm headphone out, all players do. It doesnt have a lineout, but nor do alot of players, including the d2, the new sony line etc. and many are amping them.

Some say you get a better sound quality with a lineout, you definatley do with some of the ipods.

Some dont think it makes a huge difference with top-end sound quality players like the i7, d2, and new sony's, me included, i get a better sound with the D2 headphone out and a crappy amp than i did with my zen vision m's lineout and a top end amp!

So a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable will do the job pretty well, the i7 has a good hp/o unlike some of the ipods which need to be used with a lineout, just like the Zen vision m did, but even that lineout was crap, my D2 hp/o out amped with a crap amp is better than my zvm lineout with a top end amp!

Matt

Sep 22, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #6 of 6
Sorry about the confusion. Sometimes I mix all the cables up! Thanks for the replys though, this is good news indeed! Just need to figure out what amp would be best for me, Should I go for penguin "caffeine" amp as a first one? Or wont I make a big difference? Questionmarks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back