amp for higher-end grado's
Jun 29, 2004 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

skitlets

500+ Head-Fier
so here i am, ready to save up atleast $1000+ to go all out for a home setup. My first big purchase will be an amp, which will be paired with one of the higher end grado 'phones (ms-2, rs-1/ms pro, hp1000, or the big one - ps-1) and im wondering which amp will match with most of these. i might have 2 go thru the process of buying and selling, but i guess thats the fun of all this head-fi, seeing what matches my tastes, but itd be a pain to have to switch amps multiple times to figure out which headphones i want. so my question is, which amp for high-end grados. right now, im pretty much lookin at a gilmore or ra-1. can anyone here guide me as to which amp wuld be a nice choice, and itd be another bonus if u guys culd help me decide which headphone to save up for. shuldnt take too long, a year for the ps-1, everything else pretty much half a year, but the amp comes first, then a dac.

edit -- i wasnt planning on spending $1000 on the amp alone, but rather an amp and a dac. spending $1000 each on an amp, headphones, and a source just isnt feasible for a 16 year old with a low-paying summer job. id like to keep the amp <500, 350 wuld be especially nice.

double edit -- I'm CRAZY. im 16, and i wanted to spend over a grand on headphones. reality check. im gonna either settle on the ms-2 or ms-pro/rs-1, as i want to keep my set-up below the ~1500 mark. how about u guys suggest me a whole new setup, with a source, amp, and either of those 2 headphones, unless the hp-1 can be had for around the price of an rs-1. keep in mind, i like the convenience of using my pc as a source/transport, but if its not cost/value efficient, i guess i just mite move on2 a standalone transport/cd player.

Jun 29, 2004 at 4:16 AM Post #2 of 12
i really liked that clear amp back at hirsh's, i believe its called the RKV and used an impedazer. priced around $1100 or something i think

Jun 29, 2004 at 4:36 AM Post #4 of 12
I really like the sound of the Singlepower MPX3 with the grados. Very musical, and enjoyable, with good bass. I've been lusting after one ever since I first heard it. I'm hoping that my Carlo-modded Melos SHA-1 will help to cure some of that. Unfortunately I haven't gotten it back yet after 2.5 months and I'm going through withdrawal..
blink.gif

Jun 29, 2004 at 4:58 AM Post #5 of 12
IMHO, it really depend on which Grado. To me HP1000 series sound very netural and sound good with any good solid or tube amp. As for PS-1, I would like PPX-3, it seem tames the bass of it somewhat.

Jun 29, 2004 at 5:05 AM Post #7 of 12
i havnt yet decided on a source quite yet. after i pick an amp, ill upgrade the source, then the cans last. seems as tho the tube amps are more popular than ss ones, but tubes are a bit pricey. ill think about it.

Jun 29, 2004 at 5:45 AM Post #9 of 12
You've got several options.

AudioValve RKV + Impedanzer (tube)
A completely pimped out PPA + PSU from LaRocco Audio (SS)
A Melos amp that can be totally pimped out later by carlo - betters the sound COMPLETELY (hybrid)

I've also heard good things about the singlepowers and gilmores. I've heard them, but I cant comment since there was always something wrong at the time, either equipment or setup.

Jun 30, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #11 of 12
skitlets, just to let you know your not alone : >

im 17, currently have a pimeta and a pair of MS1, yet im still left wanting for more even tho ive had them for left than 6 months!

I dont know if im ungrateful, but i keep getting the urge to get a pair of RS-1 and a tube amp. ughhh, its so fustrating at times, and people think your crazy too
redface.gif

Im ment to be saving for a car at the moment, but i know once i get that im gonna be spending even more money on that delaying my purchase of the RS1 and the tube amp.

At 1st i didnt believe what people said about buying straight to the top end rather than the entry level, i thought i could be satisfied with a entry level setup but nooooo! they were right and im wanting more!!

ahahah well ive been kinda off the subject just lettin u know ur not the only youngin out their bein drawn into the forces that is head-fi
tongue.gif

Jun 30, 2004 at 9:12 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteeleBlayde
You've got several options.

AudioValve RKV + Impedanzer (tube)

By way of example, the PS-1 sounds excellent with the RKV, and maybe even better without the Impedanzer, but because of the less-than-perfect impedance match there can be a little hiss in the background.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back