Amp for HE-560
Jun 16, 2016 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

drgnfrc13

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for an amp that can easily drive my Hifiman HE-560, because my FiiO E9 just doesn't really cut it. At maximum volume on high gain, it is just beginning to reach my normal listening level, and honestly sometimes I just want to listen to my music louder than that.

My criteria:

- powerful (I don't know how much power I need, but apparently I need more than the 1W provided by the E9)
- small/slim/robust enough to fit in a backpack
- under $600

Amps I've considered so far:
Various Class D amps: I really don't even know what the difference is between the various classes of amps, but I've gathered that Class D amps are basically speaker amps? There seem to be quite a few Class D amps that fit my criteria (Like the Nuforce DDA-100 and the Virtue TWO.2), but I've read that these require additional cables/adapters to be used as headphone amps, and I haven't been able to find a clear explanation of what I would need. Some of these also come with various options for different power supplies, and I have no idea what I'd be looking for there, either. My knowledge of electronics doesn't go very far beyond the "average consumer" level, and there seems to be a very steep learning curve here.

Schiit Lyr 2: seems like a good candidate aside from the fact that I would have to remove the tubes to safely transport it.

Schiit Asgard 2: Also a good candidate. This might be what I default to, if I can't find something a bit higher-end that will work for me.

Hifiman EF-100: Might be just a bit too large, though it might work.

Jun 16, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 12
  I'm looking for an amp that can easily drive my Hifiman HE-560, because my FiiO E9 just doesn't really cut it. At maximum volume on high gain, it is just beginning to reach my normal listening level, and honestly sometimes I just want to listen to my music louder than that.

My criteria:

- powerful (I don't know how much power I need, but apparently I need more than the 1W provided by the E9)
- under $600

Various Class D amps: I really don't even know what the difference is between the various classes of amps, but I've gathered that Class D amps are basically speaker amps? There seem to be quite a few Class D amps that fit my criteria (Like the Nuforce DDA-100 and the Virtue TWO.2), but I've read that these require additional cables/adapters to be used as headphone amps, and I haven't been able to find a clear explanation of what I would need. Some of these also come with various options for different power supplies, and I have no idea what I'd be looking for there, either. My knowledge of electronics doesn't go very far beyond the "average consumer" level, and there seems to be a very steep learning curve here.

Schiit Lyr 2: seems like a good candidate aside from the fact that I would have to remove the tubes to safely transport it.

Schiit Asgard 2: Also a good candidate. This might be what I default to, if I can't find something a bit higher-end that will work for me.

Check the Matrix M-Stage HPA-3

Jun 16, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 12
Violectric makes great amps with plenty gain and are designed to drive all phones. Either the 109s or the hpa v90 will work well. Both are in your price range. Violectric website

Jun 17, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 12
  Not sure exactly how portable you need it to be, but have you considered the iFi Micro iDSD? It has a boatload of power and also comes with a DAC for $499 MSRP.

Is that much more powerful than the Cypher Labs Theorem? I know the two are frequently compared. I bought the Theorem a few weeks ago, hoping it would be more powerful than the E9, but it's about the same. I'll probably be reselling it pretty soon (though it sounds amazing with my more sensitive headphones...).z

A true portable amp is great if I can find one with enough power. Ideally, I would like to stay below 12"x12"x3" (length x width x height) just so that it will fit in my backpack along with my Macbook Air, power cables, etc. I like to bring my gear to friends' houses on occasion, so I just don't want to be lugging around something monstrous.

Jun 17, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #6 of 12

My criteria:

- under $600

Check the Matrix M-Stage HPA-3

Violectric makes great amps with plenty gain and are designed to drive all phones. Either the 109s or the hpa v90 will work well. Both are in your price range. Violectric website

Thanks guys. I'll look into both of these.

Jun 17, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #7 of 12
  Is that much more powerful than the Cypher Labs Theorem? I know the two are frequently compared. I bought the Theorem a few weeks ago, hoping it would be more powerful than the E9, but it's about the same. I'll probably be reselling it pretty soon (though it sounds amazing with my more sensitive headphones...).

Assuming you're referring to the Theorem 720 DAC since I'm not entirely familiar with it. A quick look at the specifications on both shows us that the iDSD is significantly more powerful (though the specs don't line up exactly):

iFi

Theorem

Jun 17, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #8 of 12

Is that much more powerful than the Cypher Labs Theorem? I know the two are frequently compared. I bought the Theorem a few weeks ago, hoping it would be more powerful than the E9, but it's about the same. I'll probably be reselling it pretty soon (though it sounds amazing with my more sensitive headphones...).

Assuming you're referring to the Theorem 720 DAC since I'm not entirely familiar with it. A quick look at the specifications on both shows us that the iDSD is significantly more powerful (though the specs don't line up exactly):

iFi

Theorem

Yes, that's it. Thank you, much appreciated.

Jun 17, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #9 of 12
  Yes, that's it. Thank you, much appreciated.

No problem. If you are curious as to how it sounds I got mine recently and I agree 100% with what this reviewer wrote about it: http://www.head-fi.org/t/798562/portable-amp-dac-shootout-ifi-micro-idsd-vs-resonessence-concero-hp-vs-chord-mojo-vs-ifi-idac2-vs-hrt-microstreamer

Hope this helps.

Jun 18, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgnfrc13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They're mostly speaker amps so far because they have certain limitations. Original Class D designs have very high THD, which was why they were relegated to subwoofer amplification, since distortion isnt uniformly perceptible throughout the audible range, ie, you can't tell as easily that there's distortion. With bass also the obvious signs are if it's either weak or bloated, which ends up getting EQ'd in most cases (or even just managed with gain settings on the sub amp) or you're getting obvious over excursion as the drivers get a "thwack!" sound tailing each note. 

Fullrange Class D amps were developed later on with relatively higher THD and noise vs very good Class A/B amplifiers, but they were a lot more efficient, which meant they can be put in smaller chassis with less need for heatsink surface area, as well as generally smaller power supplies, which made for lower cost for the quality and quantity of the output vs A/B amps. Distortion on most designs however wasn't as linear, so while their distortion and noise levels were better at their rated output (which in many cases can be relatively low), past that both those pile on faster. High impedance loads also contribute to that (ie higher load, less output; so in some cases it can be offset by efficiency), so that's one of the main reasons why they haven't really been used for headphone amps (yet). The other is that given how large a headphone amp can be to supply enough power - like the Lyr for example - really didn't add to the need to develop them. By comparison, FR Class D for speakers were also driven by car audio, to further reduce heat (there was a reason why the old Rockford Fosgates were known as "BBQ Grills," beyond the fact that the fins looked like a cast iron grill pan) as well as the load on the 12v system.

That said the impedance of most planars isn't likely to be any issue with Class D amps. As for adapters, there's really no need in their case - the impedance isn't that much higher and more importantly the cable configuration is advantageous. You just need to buy the cables that have speaker binding post-compatible plugs (bananas or spades) on the amp end instead of a TRS or XLR plug. Alternately, in most cases the "adapter" isn't the box, but just a spade/banana to female XLR adapter:

My criteria:

- under $600

The Meier Jazz has a lot of power and a +16dB high gain setting.
http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/jazz.htm

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #12 of 12
The iFi Micro iDSD is, I think the perfect match for the HE-560s.  I've done extensive research on all available amps.  Considering all pros and cons, I have to say the Micro iDSD is the best choice (for me lol) 

Power:  More than enough power, as previously stated. The Micro iDSD in "Normal" mode is sufficient to drive the 560s. The "Turbo" I guess would just be optional for really putting the juice into them. Built in DAC as well as amplifier. 

Output and Input options:  This is one of the areas that I feel the Micro iDSD shines.  I like that it has RCA in as well as a variety of other inputs.  I like that it has the 1/4" output jack. (Mojo only has dual 3.5s)  A port on the side can power your phone if need be. You can also get a dual 3.5 plug and input from any portable device including your phone. I have a ton of lossless flac files on my phone and ready to go. 

Portability: OK, not like in your pocket.....But hey, take it with you traveling or to work or rig it to work with your phone and take them HE560 BEASTS with you to lots of places. I like this because many desktop amps would not allow this. Even some portable amps are not wireless. Dang, you could just go sit in your car by a nice vista and crank out your 560s, imagine that lol. 

Here are the stats that I found to drive the 560s as per "Amplifier Requirement Calculator". Using the 560s Impedance: 46 ohms and Sensitivity:90DB.......To drive them at 110dBSPL   Voltage Needed: 2.12Vrms  Current Needed: 47.11mA  Power Needed: 99.88mW 

Here's a guy who loves it even more than I do lol:  
http://www.head-fi.org/products/ifi-audio-micro-idsd/reviews/14420

Users who are viewing this thread

Back