Amp for HD800: Soloist SL or WA7?
Jul 5, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #32 of 54
Again. Do not forget about that concero DAC!
When you pair that with the Burson it's gonna be lights out.

Enjoy man.

consider me jelly 

Jul 9, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #33 of 54
consider me jelly 

You get it yet? God. You are gonna love that soloist with that DAC!!! It's gonna change your life and you will fully appreciate what those 800's can really do. :wink:

Jul 9, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #34 of 54
You get it yet? God. You are gonna love that soloist with that DAC!!! It's gonna change your life and you will fully appreciate what those 800's can really do.
wink.gif

Yes, I have all three, they've been burning in since Monday :)

It is a nice setup... they are all still opening up, but even from the start I would never call the sound 'bright'. Going from the E17 to the Soloist SL, the main differences were a bit sharper imaging, a bit better dynamic response, a fuller sound... basically everything is a bit better, appreciably. Nothing is super dramatic, you have to listen for awhile to really notice all the improvements. The greatest aspect is how the setup makes you feel 'in the music', and not just feeling that it's presented to you in a sort of virtual box. And all this is mainly without any significant burn in, so it's all good stuff from here.

I have had the soloist SL on low gain majoritarily, and have had ample volume.

The upsampling filters on the Concero are also a nice touch.

The really dramatic moment came when I listen to a song as 128 mp3 on my phone with cheap IEM's and then the same song in FLAC with the rig. Wow... at that moment, it's all worthwhile. I truly look forward to going home and listening to music now, which is unusual for me. So much more emotional response to listening sessions, it's more engaging.

Jul 10, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #35 of 54

It is a nice setup... they are all still opening up, but even from the start I would never call the sound 'bright'. Going from the E17 to the Soloist SL, the main differences were a bit sharper imaging, a bit better dynamic response, a fuller sound... basically everything is a bit better, appreciably. Nothing is super dramatic, you have to listen for awhile to really notice all the improvements. The greatest aspect is how the setup makes you feel 'in the music', and not just feeling that it's presented to you in a sort of virtual box. And all this is mainly without any significant burn in, so it's all good stuff from here.

The really dramatic moment came when I listen to a song as 128 mp3 on my phone with cheap IEM's and then the same song in FLAC with the rig. Wow... at that moment, it's all worthwhile. I truly look forward to going home and listening to music now, which is unusual for me. So much more emotional response to listening sessions, it's more engaging.

ding ding ding, and to my left is a $2000 portable headphone rig q.q

prepare your wallet lol 

Jul 10, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #36 of 54
  ding ding ding, and to my left is a $2000 portable headphone rig q.q

prepare your wallet lol 

Well at least now I can add individual pieces and not have to buy a whole rig at once! Question is what...  thinking maybe an amp... WA2 or WA6 maybe... or maybe cans! Get something really different to compliment the HD800, like maybe some Grados (RS1i or PS500). I might jump into the ortho pool.... maybe HE500... LCD range don't have much appeal to me at this stage. I am likely not looking for another flagship.... just something to really crank the classic rock on.

Not that the HD800 embarrasses itself in that area, I've had fun!

Jul 10, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #37 of 54
I use a WA6 with my 800s and the combo sounds fantastic--warm, spacious, transparent, and detailed. Can't ask for more than that!

Jul 11, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #38 of 54
Greetings all,

I have been flying around Head-Fi around for a few days now trying to get some solid impressions, and finally figured I'd just ask the specific question to you fine folks.

I have recently acquired a set of HD800s via a pretty decent deal. I listen primarily to classical, jazz, folk, acoustic, with some classic rock sprinkled in. I got to audition the Senn's before buying them (while travelling) and they make lots of sense to my ears, especially for those first few genres.

My question is this: right now I am considering amping it with either the WA7 with the optional EH  6C45 tubes (I would also use the on board DAC), OR I would use a Soloist SL with a Resonessence Concero DAC. Now the general consensus seems to be that the Concero is better than the WA7 in terms of DAC, though anyone with differing opinions is encouraged to reply. In my case I wouldn't hear the other I didn't buy, so ignorance is bliss. So then, in terms the amp themselves... which would you have, and why with HD800? I get the sense both are pretty close to neutral, even though one is tubed and the other is solid state.

In my case both setups would be identical in price (1100 or so USD), and that pretty much is my ceiling for budget.

In terms of sonic preference, I don't require tonnes of bass, I like to to say I like adequate bass to give the music some body (I know, know, how much is that exactly, right?!?!). I do love me some fantastic mids, and I enjoy fine detail so treble is important. Of course soundstage is a priority, I think that's one of the main reasons to get these cans. I see many orchestras live.. so to be able to hear recordings and knowing where everyone is sitting and where the jackass is in the crowd that can't stop coughing is a very thrilling experience.

The ideal solution is to try both, but I live in an audiophile-barren corner of the world... so I'm appealing to the knowledge of those who know.

Thanks!
Greetings all,

I have been flying around Head-Fi around for a few days now trying to get some solid impressions, and finally figured I'd just ask the specific question to you fine folks.

I have recently acquired a set of HD800s via a pretty decent deal. I listen primarily to classical, jazz, folk, acoustic, with some classic rock sprinkled in. I got to audition the Senn's before buying them (while travelling) and they make lots of sense to my ears, especially for those first few genres.

My question is this: right now I am considering amping it with either the WA7 with the optional EH  6C45 tubes (I would also use the on board DAC), OR I would use a Soloist SL with a Resonessence Concero DAC. Now the general consensus seems to be that the Concero is better than the WA7 in terms of DAC, though anyone with differing opinions is encouraged to reply. In my case I wouldn't hear the other I didn't buy, so ignorance is bliss. So then, in terms the amp themselves... which would you have, and why with HD800? I get the sense both are pretty close to neutral, even though one is tubed and the other is solid state.

In my case both setups would be identical in price (1100 or so USD), and that pretty much is my ceiling for budget.

In terms of sonic preference, I don't require tonnes of bass, I like to to say I like adequate bass to give the music some body (I know, know, how much is that exactly, right?!?!). I do love me some fantastic mids, and I enjoy fine detail so treble is important. Of course soundstage is a priority, I think that's one of the main reasons to get these cans. I see many orchestras live.. so to be able to hear recordings and knowing where everyone is sitting and where the jackass is in the crowd that can't stop coughing is a very thrilling experience.

The ideal solution is to try both, but I live in an audiophile-barren corner of the world... so I'm appealing to the knowledge of those who know.

Thanks!

This is what I wrote in in response to another thread:

Originally Posted by r one

and sure, V200 with HD800 is a really great match too. Warm body of the V200 is a good association with the clarity of the HD800.

++++++++++

Agreed. The V200 is a good match for the HD800.

Actually, I could not find any other SS amps in that price range that can do a better job than the V200, in particular in the area of reducing the sibilance to a tolerable level--the Burson Soloist, Schiit Mjolnir and Bryston HPA-1 (?) all failed in this area. I had to go to the HeadAmp GS-X Mk2 or the Bakoon HPA-21 at three times the price to clearly out perform the V200 with the HD800 in this area.

With hybrids, I found that the Red Wine Audio Corvina (now discontinued and available at only $1,000) was clearly a better match for the HD800 in almost every department including sibilance and midrange richness.

I am not saying that the RWA Corvina or the V200 are better amps than the other "affordable" amps I listened to--I own all of them so I have no reason to play favorite--I am saying that to my ears they are better matches for the HD800.

Jul 19, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #39 of 54
Sorr

Sorry for the late response here. Sounds like you'll really benefit from some concentrative A and B'ing. I found the soloist to be miles ahead of the FIIO amp. Trust me. It'll burn in your mind after listening to the soloist for a week, then go back to the FIIO E17 amp. The FIIO literally sounds far less accurate and the soundstage is further away. Anyway. Glad you got all three! Sounds great. I'd love to hear that Concero some day. Some here have said its a better DAC than my ARCAM irDAC. I'd be totally amazed if it was. :)

Jul 19, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #40 of 54

Oh and last always use a lossless audio codec or standard red book 16/44 cd pressings. Anything else will sound like over processed rubbish. :frowning2:

Jul 19, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #41 of 54
Oh and last always use a lossless audio codec or standard red book 16/44 cd pressings. Anything else will sound like over processed rubbish.
frown.gif

Yeah, pretty much everything is FLAC, some wav. I avoid vinyl rips (find they sound dirty too often), and generally go for 16/44.1... unless it's truly a cherished recording, then I might get it in 24/96. Honestly the filters on the DAC sort of remove the need for that anyways...

It's all good! Surprising part is how it has changed my listening patterns. Many bands I've dropped and many I've picked up just based on how well their recordings are done and mastered.

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #42 of 54
Yeah, pretty much everything is FLAC, some wav. I avoid vinyl rips (find they sound dirty too often), and generally go for 16/44.1... unless it's truly a cherished recording, then I might get it in 24/96. Honestly the filters on the DAC sort of remove the need for that anyways...

It's all good! Surprising part is how it has changed my listening patterns. Many bands I've dropped and many I've picked up just based on how well their recordings are done and mastered.

I feel exactly the same way you do On this subject and certainly, over the years, I've paid great attention to who is who for album mixing, mastering and production. The likes of Alan Parsons, James Guthrie, Terry Date, Steven Wilson, Bob Ludwig and terry Brown..oh and Nick Davis for the Genesis remasters have all wowed me in many ways with their care and craftsmanship. :wink:

Aug 6, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #43 of 54
Well at least now I can add individual pieces and not have to buy a whole rig at once! Question is what...  thinking maybe an amp... WA2 or WA6 maybe... or maybe cans! Get something really different to compliment the HD800, like maybe some Grados (RS1i or PS500). I might jump into the ortho pool.... maybe HE500... LCD range don't have much appeal to me at this stage. I am likely not looking for another flagship.... just something to really crank the classic rock on.

Not that the HD800 embarrasses itself in that area, I've had fun!

The WA7 firefly by woo audio can establish a nice difference as well. And a bit cheaper than the WA 6 SE.

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #44 of 54
OP, any updates? I have a WA7 to HD800, but considering a separate DAC. Currently looking at Matrix X-Sabre, but the Resonessence Concero HD is a possibility.

Dec 20, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #45 of 54
  OP, any updates? I have a WA7 to HD800, but considering a separate DAC. Currently looking at Matrix X-Sabre, but the Resonessence Concero HD is a possibility.

I have never heard the WA7 DAC.... but I am struggling to think a different DAC would make that big of a difference? Having said that I am really please with my little concero. I might get new headphones over the 4 I have, or a new amp, but I have absolutely no thoughts of a new DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back