amp for HD650
Jun 4, 2004 at 4:57 PM Post #32 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
bump for opinions on earmax pro / other not ooomph sounding tube amps

What did you mean when you said you don't want any ooomph to your sound? Ooomph to me means bass slam, attack, and substance, not necessarily any part of the frequency spectrum emphasized. The Earmax Pro isn't a wimpy or lean sounding amplifier. This little guy's got balls, but he's not going to bloat the music with the right tubes.

Jun 15, 2004 at 3:28 PM Post #34 of 43
bump
smily_headphones1.gif
( comparisons wanted , soon I'll do one too )

Jun 15, 2004 at 3:57 PM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
boodi, just get an xp-7. It is great with the my 650's and you can probably get one for around $400 in great shape, used, hint, hint.

You wont go wrong with the XP-7.

Jun 15, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #37 of 43
I agree with the assessment Senn HD600/HD650 mate best with tube amps. This is especially true when driven by single-ended triodes. The purity and transparency of SETs really sings with Senns. If you've got the funds, consider the Cary 300SEI. I went through a wide gamut of amps and nothing was able to touch Senns driven by 300B and 6SN7 triodes. Admittedly, I've never tried the Rudistor or Singlepower (anything powered by triodes, especially 6SN7, is probably gonna sound very nice
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Jun 15, 2004 at 7:11 PM Post #39 of 43
It's my experience that it's not so much a matter of musical genre, but rather the quality of recording. Sadly, a lot of rock (and pop) are poorly recorded. Played back through equipment of great transparency such as Senn HD650 via SET amplification, you're going to hear all the problems of the recording. Keep in mind rock music has a lot less dynamic range and shifts then opera or classical (contrary to what most believe). That said, the Cary/Senn combo sounds great with classical. I love mine with ambient/down-tempo electronica too. Admittedly, it's best suited for stuff like jazz.

I like Radiohead and their albums are generally well-recorded. The Bends sounds very nice on my Cary/Senn combo.

Just as a selling point for the Cary 300SEI, it makes a great speaker amp too
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2004 at 9:11 PM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
The Singlepower amps offer a very natural experience with the Sennheisers. They are tube amps but do not have the traditional tube sound (soft midrange with rolled off frequency extremes).

The Sennheisers mate best IMO with tubes.

Truer words where never spoken. The 650's have been great when paired with any of the three SinglePower amps I've used with them.

Jun 16, 2004 at 1:02 AM Post #43 of 43
I compared the Earmax Pro to my former Headroom Max on my HD650s. No contest: The Earmax won! No midrangey sound; instead, a less fatiguing but entirely palpable sound. Plenty of clarity in my rig (I've got a good source).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back