Amp for HD650 or Another headphone.
Dec 16, 2012 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

migtan

New Head-Fier
Hi, while I have been hanging around head-fi for some time but this is my first post. Sorry for my newbie question.

Well on to the question at hand. I was thinking of purchasing an amp for my HD650, my current setup Foobar-KS > Audinst Hud-MX1 > HD650, sometimes I add a Bravo Audio Tube Amp with 12AU7 RCA Clear Top Tube to the mix. I have around 300 to spend on audio gear. I was thinking of getting the Matrix M-Stage, wonder how they would pair with my DAC or would buying another pair of headphones be a better option to get a different kind of sound. I am keen on the AKG K550, Ultrasones Pro900, DT880. Its not that I do not like the sound of HD650, i just would like your opinions whether the improvements of adding the Matrix M-Stage is justified compared to the satisfaction of buying a different set of cans.

The HD650 is the only pair of full size headphones I have owned, so I can't really comment on the sound I am expecting. I have the Etymotics ER4P, UE TF10, Klipsch X10, AL IM716, Koss Portapros and I liked the first two. I listen to wide variety of genres.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #2 of 7
I'd say get an amp. M-Stage, O2/ODAC, and a Magni/Modi either would work fine.

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #4 of 7
What parts of HD650 that you don't like? In my experience, the sound charater won't change much with different amp. You better off with a new headphones.

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Hi, while I have been hanging around head-fi for some time but this is my first post. Sorry for my newbie question.

Well on to the question at hand. I was thinking of purchasing an amp for my HD650, my current setup Foobar-KS > Audinst Hud-MX1 > HD650, sometimes I add a Bravo Audio Tube Amp with 12AU7 RCA Clear Top Tube to the mix. I have around 300 to spend on audio gear. I was thinking of getting the Matrix M-Stage, wonder how they would pair with my DAC or would buying another pair of headphones be a better option to get a different kind of sound. I am keen on the AKG K550, Ultrasones Pro900, DT880. Its not that I do not like the sound of HD650, i just would like your opinions whether the improvements of adding the Matrix M-Stage is justified compared to the satisfaction of buying a different set of cans.

The HD650 is the only pair of full size headphones I have owned, so I can't really comment on the sound I am expecting. I have the Etymotics ER4P, UE TF10, Klipsch X10, AL IM716, Koss Portapros and I liked the first two. I listen to wide variety of genres.

Thanks in advance.

Heya,

With your budget, get a $99 Schiit Magni amplifier. And use the other $200 to get a new closed headphone like the K550, K167, Beyer COP, a used Mr Speaker Mad Dog, etc.

Very best,

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #6 of 7
seems like a great idea. That's if the Magni is as good as its claimed to be, definitely looks better than the m-stage. Not sure if voltage might be a problem as I remember reading somewhere thats it only comes with 115v support at the moment. We use 230V where I am staying.

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
seems like a great idea. That's if the Magni is as good as its claimed to be, definitely looks better than the m-stage. Not sure if voltage might be a problem as I remember reading somewhere thats it only comes with 115v support at the moment. We use 230V where I am staying.

You can get a universal adapter. Schiit's other amps have the option of coming 115 or 230v. I'm sure you can email them about an adapter or one that is pre-built for 230v.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back