Amp for HD650: New Guy.
Feb 10, 2009 at 9:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Gr8ness

New Head-Fier
Hey, I am just starting to really get into the great world of high quality sound, headphones, and amplifiers. I just recently purchased a pair of HD 650's. My question would be what amp should I purchase. I have read up some here, but still am a bit lost.

I mainly use my computer, but also would like something that would be portable enough to travel with and use with my iPod. As I travel a lot. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Price. Well it depends on the suggestions it isn't too much of an issue, but I don't need to jump in head first and go crazy. Anyways thanks for the input!

Feb 10, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gr8ness /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, I am just starting to really get into the great world of high quality sound, headphones, and amplifiers. I just recently purchased a pair of HD 650's. My question would be what amp should I purchase. I have read up some here, but still am a bit lost.

I mainly use my computer, but also would like something that would be portable enough to travel with and use with my iPod. As I travel a lot. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Price. Well it depends on the suggestions it isn't too much of an issue, but I don't need to jump in head first and go crazy. Anyways thanks for the input!

If you searched there would be at least a thousand threads based on newbies asking which amp should be used with the HD 650. I kid you not! - search and see for yourself. Why don't you do a little searching and read all the helpful advice that's been posted in the past? Because I'm sure a lot of that advice will not be repeated again. Over the top of my head RSA's portable range should suit you.

Feb 10, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you searched there would be at least a thousand threads based on newbies asking which amp should be used with the HD 650. I kid you not! - search and see for yourself. Why don't you do a little searching and read all the helpful advice that's been posted in the past? Because I'm sure a lot of that advice will not be repeated again. Over the top of my head RSA's portable range should suit you.

I agree with the searching... these threads have some valueable information in them.

How do you travel? I know the HD-650s need an amp with good power supplies to get the best out of them so the portable market may not be your best bet.

What is your price range? If you absolutely need portable I'd say get a Headamp Pico or RSA Predator (some good reviews in the portable amp forums) if you've got the bones. Otherwise, an iBasso D3 or D10 are some inexpensive portables.

Anyway you go- make sure your searching in the right section (full-size or portable).

All in all I'd have to suggest going with the full-sized amp. You could always get some nice IEMs.

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #5 of 12
By all means, search. The answer depends to a large extent on your budget. Personally, I would avoid a portable amp for the HD650s, as they will sound grainy at reasonable volumes. I don't think you can go wrong with a Meier full-size, either the Arietta or the Cantate, as they are neutral across the frequency spectrum and are affordable for what they offer. Otherwise, stick with well-known names like Ray Samuels, Headamp, Woo, Singlepower... since you can sell them if they are not to your liking. Some of the more esoteric headphone amps don't seem to hold up as well in the resale market.

Feb 11, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by minimus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I would avoid a portable amp for the HD650s, as they will sound grainy at reasonable volumes.

I disagree, both RSA SR-71A and Mustang have enough juice to power the HD600/650 at a very loud listen able volume without distortions. I do agree a desktop amp will bring every bit of the HD600.

Feb 11, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #8 of 12
There is always the "Corda Move" and this would give him a USB DAC which is infinitely better then what is outputted by the computer stock and the move would give him crossfeed plus its a Meier amp so its going to be good.

Feb 11, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #9 of 12
If you still want to go portable, go with the Graham Slee Voyager which was also built to drive demanding high impedance phones.

Feb 11, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #10 of 12
You want to go portable, so obviously all this talk about desktop amps being better is irrelevant. Check out the Headamp AE-2 for portables and the RSA SR-71A. You might want to look at the Mini^3 as a cheaper option also.

Feb 11, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by m3_arun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You want to go portable, so obviously all this talk about desktop amps being better is irrelevant. Check out the Headamp AE-2 for portables and the RSA SR-71A. You might want to look at the Mini^3 as a cheaper option also.

It's not irrelevant, it's good advice to be either taken or rejected by the OP. Most people here would think twice before using HD650s as portable cans.

Feb 11, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #12 of 12
Yea HD650 sucks as a portable because it leaks sound to everyone around you, not to mention you'll hear all the outside noises. The HD650 sound their best in a quiet room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back