Amp for HD650, $600, suggestions?
Sep 7, 2007 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Jono3642

Head-Fier
I posted about this earlier but have decided to up my budget and thought it required a new post.

Source is FLAC- ElitePro Spdif- Paradisea+ - Corda HA-1 mk1 - HD650

Have considered the X-CAN v3 as it supposedly has good synergy with HD650, but also want to know what the real other options are, the XP-7 used to be highly regarded, seems its not talked about as much anymore. The Graham Slee Solo could be a possibility if I wanted to blow the bank, or perhaps and Earmax Pro, again anyone with any experience of these amps or others you think I should consider.

Finally, with $600 will I get a sizeable upgrade from the HA-1, I do like its sound, but find it a little sterile, cold and analytical. Would like an amp to liven the headphones up a little, but don't like heavy bass, I tend to like things to the warmer end but considering the Paradisea is a fairly warm source probably don't want something like the Antique Labs at it might get too tubey, I think like most I want an amp in the middle erring slightly on the warmer side but still dynamic and accurate.

Thanks, appreciate any replies, am a little stumped at the moment.

Sep 7, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 29
Thanks for replies, I would consider a tube amp, but as the source involves a tube and as a non-os tube dac i worry a tube amp would take it too far, lacking air and being over-warm.

I'm in the UK which limits availability, finding a 220-240V used GS-1 would be tough, the Heed CanAmp is easily available, anybody with experience of that?

Anybody with experience of GS-1 vs. Woo, Slee Solo or X-Can. Gilmore products have a reputation for being cold, is that true of GS-1?

Again, thanks for help.

Sep 7, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #7 of 29
Cold? Not at all. You want cold - listen to a Lehman Black Cube Linear or Graham Slee Solo.

I had the Gilmore Lite with DPS and just snagged a used 230V GS-1
biggrin.gif
. If anything the GS-1 is a little warmer....in that it sounds more natural, more textured, more detailed (incrementally over the Gilmore, yes, but not insignificantly).

Sep 7, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #8 of 29
Lehman Black Cube Linear x2

It's heavenly with the HD650

Sep 8, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #11 of 29
gonna have to chime in with the wa6.

i've only heard this and the singlepower mpx3. i guess what i'll say is not so much that you HAVE TO BUY THE WA6 /THREAD but that with $600, the WA6 is deserving of an audition, even at the cost of the $50 if you buy new, don't like and sell. there are literally throngs of people here who would snap it up right away.

i just got my upgraded amp back and am very happy.

Sep 8, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #12 of 29
xenithon;3256709 said:
Cold? Not at all. You want cold - listen to a Lehman Black Cube Linear or Graham Slee Solo...QUOTE]

Sorry, but I disagree. I am listening to my Green Solo and even though it only has 10 days out of the 21 days of burn in recomended I would not classify it as cold. It is a very engaging amp with a very wide soundstage and a clear detaile presentation. It does not get fatiguing and for a SS amp I find it quite warm.

Sep 12, 2007 at 12:22 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jono3642 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the Heed CanAmp is easily available, anybody with experience of that?

Hi, Im in the UK too and also had the same problem with sourcing an amp. I just bought a Heed Canamp and eventhough it only has about 25 hours burn-in it sounds great with my Grado SR-125 and AKG K400 headphones. Definately on the "warmer side" and "still dynamic and accurate", especially for an SS!
I have read alot about the Canamp needing high impedance headphones to get the most out of the amp and apparently Heed used Senn HD600 for reference when designing it. Alot of people seem to be liking the HD650 + Heed combo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back