Amp for HD598?
Jan 26, 2012 at 7:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

untouchablemike

New Head-Fier
Sorry if this seems like begging for help without any research, but I'm just kind of lost at the moment.

I have recently become enamored with headphones in general.  While searching for a nice entry level can to fit my needs (primarily gaming and film), I decided easily on the Sennheiser HD598 (which I got for a great price through a dealer on ebay).  Through my research, I've found that they do not *really* need an amp @ 50 ohms.  Conversely, I've read many dissenting opinions on the matter.

The uses for the HD598 are primarily for watching blu-ray through my Playstation 3 and gaming both on the Playstation 3 and my PC.  Movies on my PC are not really an issue, as I normally watch them before going to sleep (they go through my PC speakers.)  I don't game online often. Music typically comes from my iPhone 4 and my PC (AAC, Spotify, mp3). Is there any sort of all-in-one solution for my needs?  If not that's fine, but a little point in the right direction would be extremely helpful.  I'd prefer not to spend more than the headphones cost on amp solutions, but if that's not possible I'm okay with that. 

Thanks so much in advance.

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #2 of 9

Quote:
Sorry if this seems like begging for help without any research, but I'm just kind of lost at the moment.
I have recently become enamored with headphones in general.  While searching for a nice entry level can to fit my needs (primarily gaming and film), I decided easily on the Sennheiser HD598 (which I got for a great price through a dealer on ebay).  Through my research, I've found that they do not *really* need an amp @ 50 ohms.  Conversely, I've read many dissenting opinions on the matter.
The uses for the HD598 are primarily for watching blu-ray through my Playstation 3 and gaming both on the Playstation 3 and my PC.  Movies on my PC are not really an issue, as I normally watch them before going to sleep (they go through my PC speakers.)  I don't game online often. Music typically comes from my iPhone 4 and my PC (AAC, Spotify, mp3). Is there any sort of all-in-one solution for my needs?  If not that's fine, but a little point in the right direction would be extremely helpful.  I'd prefer not to spend more than the headphones cost on amp solutions, but if that's not possible I'm okay with that. 

Yes the Sennheiser HD598s (50-Ohm) are easy to drive and will work "decently" plugged into the motherboard's built in audio.
But the motherboard's built in audio will not bring out the best of the HD598s.
Adding an Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card to the PC will give you Dolby Digital (Dolby Virtual Speaker & Dolby Virtual Headphone)
The Asus Xonar DG also comes with a half-way decent headphone amplifier rated up to 150-Ohms (give or take).

Using something like the TBS Earforce DSS (digital optical) with the headphones and PS3 3 will give you (Dolby Virtual Headphone) surround sound for movies and gaming.

You should be able to get the DSS and DG for around $100 total.

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #4 of 9
I know some people on here think that the HD 598's don't NEED expensive amplification, but the truth is I noticed a big difference in detail/sound quality going from only the I Basso D4 to the D4 (using as stand alone DAC)+Asgard. It really made the details come out in the music and it sounds really really good. The Mids are really good, and the high's are good without being harsh. The only thing I don't like about this setup is that I wish the headphones (or amplification) provided more bass and depth to the sound. I'm just letting you know my experience - the D4 doesnt have an optical/spdif in, so you couldn't use it with your playstation - there are several DACs/ DAC +AMPs that have this option and the only reason I am using it is because I already had it before purchasing the asgard. I would just do some research on here and find what the best bang for your buck is. You can always buy something off of Amazon and return it if you don't like it.

Jan 26, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
Would something like the FiiO e7/e9 combo be better suited for my needs?  I realize that's significantly more expensive than the solution provided above.

The Fiio E7/E9 would be a better headphone amplifier then the DSS or DG.
But, they only output stereo 2.0 channel sound.
As far as I can tell you can not use the Fiio E7 with the xbox, but you can use the E9 (RCAs)
The xBox has two audio outputs, digital optical and RCAs (red/white, analog)
The E7's need to have digital input using USB.
But the new E17 does have digital optical input.

But the reason I suggected the DSS and DG is you get the full (Virtual) surround sound effect.
Also i believe you could plug your headphones into the E9 and the E9 into the DSS & DG.

Jan 26, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Doesn't something like the Astro Mixamp process the sound, and send it out as 2.0?  Would an e7 be overkill, pairing it with an astro mixamp? (specifically speaking towards the 598s)

The Astro Mix-Amp will output Dolby Virtual Headphone (surround sound) and 2.0 channel to the headphones.
The E7 will output stereo 2.0 channel to the headphone
The E7 and Astro mix-Amp both take in Digital Audio, have a DAC (Digital to analog Converter)
and output to headphones.
The E7s digital input is USB
The Astro Mix-Amps digital input is S/PDIF.
I believe they both also come with analog 2.0 channel input.

So you really only need to use one or the other.

Jan 26, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #8 of 9
Thank you, I think I had some confusing information that you just cleared up.

I had a listen to the Astro mixamp tonight on my 598s.  I watched several choice scenes from The Dark Knight, and noticed crackling in a few particular spots.

I loaded up Super Stardust HD, one of my favorite games, and immediately noticed distortion whenever there was a large explosion.  I have no other reference except an extremely low end Pioneer Receiver, but that produced no distortion on the same parts of the movie/game.

Do i have a dud of a mixamp?

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Thank you, I think I had some confusing information that you just cleared up.
I had a listen to the Astro mixamp tonight on my 598s.  I watched several choice scenes from The Dark Knight, and noticed crackling in a few particular spots.
I loaded up Super Stardust HD, one of my favorite games, and immediately noticed distortion whenever there was a large explosion.  I have no other reference except an extremely low end Pioneer Receiver, but that produced no distortion on the same parts of the movie/game.
Do i have a dud of a mixamp?

Not sure on the Mix-amp
I have very little experience with the PS3 (have only installed and setup one PS3).
Double check all the audio setting on the PS3, make sure is set for Dolby Digital 5.1.
Reread the Astro Mix-amp manual, might have missed some little detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back