Amp for HD595?
Oct 11, 2006 at 7:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Audio18

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys I'm thinking of getting an amp for my 595s. I am currently running out of the headphone out of my M-audio revo 5.1 card that is supposed to be a a little amplified but im pretty sure its not the last word in amplification. any suggestions for something around 60-70 preferabbly? how about this one?
http://www.samash.com/catalog/showit...RCH&GroupCode= it is cheap and i live right next to the store. i want something that i can buy with confidence if i must buy it online, and will arrive quickly. preferablly on AC power.

another question is how will it all get hooked up for the best sound?

headphone out--->amp--->headphones?
stereo out----->amp---->headphones?

the reason i ask is because i dont believe it has line-out.
thanks guys!

Oct 11, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinkies
Little Dot Micro+

I second that. There are quite a few of those floating around in the FS/FT forums, it's portable and will sound better than what you're considering.

For a few more bones you could get a Little Dot II for ~$100, don't know if that's what you need, but it'll be at least mid-fi sound quality-wise (oh, and it looks pretty cool with the blue LEDs).

Good luck!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 11, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy
I second that. There are quite a few of those floating around in the FS/FT forums, it's portable and will sound better than what you're considering.

For a few more bones you could get a Little Dot II for ~$100, don't know if that's what you need, but it'll be at least mid-fi sound quality-wise (oh, and it looks pretty cool with the blue LEDs).

Good luck!
smily_headphones1.gif

hi! thank you for the reply. one question-- by "mid-fi" sounding do you mean that the difference between unamped and using the Little Dot amp will only be a subtle difference?

Oct 12, 2006 at 12:22 AM Post #6 of 8
IMHO the Micro/DM and Total Bithead/Total Airhead are fantastic with the HD595. The slight warmth and smoothness of the amps seem to fit well with the slightly forward 595. Bithead - 595 combo has put a smile on my face many times - could be (nearly) completely satisfied by it.

Oct 12, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #7 of 8
I have just acquired a LDM+ to couple with my HD595. I have been "burning" this little guy for testing and I will post my impression on this combo vs HD595 with PA2V2 which i also own after my burn-in has been completed. But my first remark on the LDM+ combo is that it did not seem to change much.

Oct 12, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #8 of 8
I have only enjoyed listening to my HD595s when running through my Xiang Sheng 708B amp (I have rolled the tubes). When unamped or driven through my Supermacro IV they're just a bit too dull and lifeless to me. The 708B injects some real energy into them and seems to have good synergy overall. In my opinion they go very well together. I haven't heard them through any other amps to otherwise compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back