amp for hd580's
Feb 2, 2003 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

sillyboi

New Head-Fier
hello, i was just wondering if anyone can tell me what is the best amp i could get for the hd580's? i don't have the 580's yet but i want to do a price estimate for myself to see how much i should save up. i really like to listen to fast bassy music and i've been reading that you need an amp to power the 580's to their full potential, i am on a tight budget, so if anyone could help recommend a decent amp that would be very helpful thanks!

Feb 2, 2003 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 8
Could you let us know your budget? You can go all the way from a sub $100 CHA47 amplifier to a $3000+ Blockhead amplifier. A price range would really help us.

Feb 2, 2003 at 4:39 AM Post #3 of 8
i was also wondering what's the difference from a headphone amp and a receiver for your home system? i mean... i see the head room amps for about 200 dollars.. but couldn't i just use my home receiver??

my budget i guess would be determined after i understand what the differences are between a home amp and a headphone amp... thanks.

Feb 2, 2003 at 5:17 AM Post #4 of 8
The 580 sounds similar to the 600, and they will not be a really good choice for fast bassy music as you like, the Beyer DT770 or 990 will be better options propertly amped, and around this price...IMO the HD600 rolls off the bass too fast, for heavy bass I will suggest you other options, but maybe over your budget....

Feb 2, 2003 at 6:40 AM Post #5 of 8
does anyone else have the same options as Sovkiller? if so i might look into the beyer's i was really looking for just any full sized headphones that are light and comfortable... and i my budget for a pair is no more then 180USD and i still have the unclarity of the amplifiers and if my home amp is sufficent... or if a amp that is intented for headphones is better... can anyone help me?

Feb 2, 2003 at 3:30 PM Post #6 of 8
I disagree with sov. I think you will be completely satisfied with your hd580's. I own a pair of hd600's, which are very similiar, and i think they are spectacular for nearly every kind of music. I am using an Antique Sound Labs MG/OTL Head with upgraded tubes.

You can go here to see a bunch of pictures i have taken of it:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290766347

You could snag one used if you wanted to keep your budget low. There is a new one coming out with some minor upgrades, it will run approx. $320 - $340 .. You could get one now from holm audio for $300 (older version..the one i have, no complaints here). Or find one used for about $250 ..

To get the sound you seek I think you will not want to settle for much less.

The only thing is, we have only covered a few of the compenents needed in an optimal headphone setup. Im not sure if you have a good cd player ..Im guessing not...or good interconnects (rca cables, you can get some outlaws,they are supposed to be good budget IC's. for 50 bucks).

If you want to get some truly high end sound you need to cover all aspects of your system.
1. Cd player - I reccomend the c521i from yawa.. refurbd for $219..
2. Interconnects - Outlaws seem to be the ultimate budget interconnect.. you can find them for under $50 i think..
3. Amp - I, of course, reccomend the asl mg/otl head. ($250 at lowest)
4. Headphones - You already have a great pair in the hd580's.
5. Headphone cables (optional) - To get an even better sound you could get a pair of replacement cables for your hd580s from equinox or cardas. Equinox cables run appx $200.. cardas $150. Total optional but a very worthy upgrade if possible ever.

So, in my opinion, the minimal amount you will eventually have to spend to effeciently accomidate your hd580's to get the sound you will want will be around $500.

Keep in mind you can get it in steps.. Get the amp first and use a dvd player until you can afford the cd player.. Then get the cd player.. then get some interconnects.. etc etc.. By that time you will be planning for your next headphone setup
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2003 at 2:04 AM Post #7 of 8
I second the recommendation for the MG Head for the 580's. The 580's/600's in my opinion give really good bass. If you need a portible amp the Meta 42 also really allows the 580's to shine, and may be a better choice for a "fast" bass you're seeking.

Feb 3, 2003 at 3:50 AM Post #8 of 8
I have the 580's and am torn between the Meta42 and tubes also... I am thinking either the van Waarde E88CC/6AS7 amp or the optimized MJ with feedback.

However, I just happen to have all the chips for the Meta, and plan to build it soon. Then I will see where to go if it isn't enough.

As of now, I use my cans with the headphone out on my Promedia 5.1's and it sounds great. Now, through my Sony CDP-CE375 with a CMoy amp, the cans just don't have their magical quality that made them sound so great.

I would advise that if you like tubes, get tubes. I always wanted tubes, but want to use my parts for solid state first, and will do tubes in a while...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back