Amp for HD25 and iPod Nano 6g
Feb 1, 2012 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Overkill Red

Previously known as theThirty3rd
Hey guys!

Soon, one of my Nano 1gs will be replaced with a Nano 6g (Apple recall program)
I'm planning on using the Nano with my HD25s, however I'm afraid the Nano won't have enough power to drive the HD25's.
I've been looking at the FiiO E5/E6 to pair with my Nano for a nice tiny rig.
I've also looked at the RSA Mustang/Shadow, but the earlier is kinda thick and I'm not sure if the latter has enough juice as well...
I also have other IEMs that I'll be using with my new setup (in sig) exceptions being the JH11s and the MarkL D2000s.

Hoping that someone with experience with tiny amps can chip in!
If the Nano is powerful enough to drive the HD25s as well as my J3 (kinda doubt it), please tell me as well as my wallet would be very happy
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #2 of 16
Anyone?

I finally found, after a week of searching, a forum-er's impressions of the E6 with the HD25s.
Looks like I'll be going for a E6 then!

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 16
I use FiiO E6 with my HD25-1 II. It does alright, but I must say I don't really worry about SQ when I'm on the move. But they do sound good and fun especially with the E6's bass boost settings.

Never used RSA tiny amps but I'm pretty sure they can provide more juice than the E6....

Feb 2, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #4 of 16
I received my e6 yesterday and charged it up and had problems 5 minutes in.  The eq settings were working flawlessly, but then I started to get static and noise and I had to immediately unplug it (started to hurt my ears).  I also have the HD-25-1 ii's. I would love for it to work because it's optimal for portability with my iPod nano 6g as it is the same exact size. I checked the back light and the blue setting was a mix of purple and blue.  Almost like it was stuck in between the two eq's. Maybe I received a faulty unit.  Any ideas?

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
I received my e6 yesterday and charged it up and had problems 5 minutes in.  The eq settings were working flawlessly, but then I started to get static and noise and I had to immediately unplug it (started to hurt my ears).  I also have the HD-25-1 ii's. I would love for it to work because it's optimal for portability with my iPod nano 6g as it is the same exact size. I checked the back light and the blue setting was a mix of purple and blue.  Almost like it was stuck in between the two eq's. Maybe I received a faulty unit.  Any ideas?

Hmm...don't know what's going on there. Is the switch stuck at one EQ setting....are you able to change the EQs (there are 4 settings. blue,red,purple and no light)?

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
Hmm...don't know what's going on there. Is the switch stuck at one EQ setting....are you able to change the EQs (there are 4 settings. blue,red,purple and no light)?

I think I solved the problem.  Kind of an oddity but at least it's working.  It was switching between EQs when I turned it on today (gave it a 24 hour cool down) and started to play music, but again it started to do the funky static popping.  I turned it off and back on and chose blue setting.  This time I put the 'hold' button on and now its been working flawlessly.  Maybe keeping the EQ 'hold' button in the middle causes it to be erratic because its waiting to switch to the next EQ?  I don't know.  All I know is that for the past 2 hours it has been amplifying perfectly without any pops.  I'm gonna keep an eye on it for the rest of the week and repost back here to see if it really is/was as simple as that.
So I guess my advice: ALWAYS USE THE HOLD BUTTON :wink:

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #7 of 16

Quote:
I use FiiO E6 with my HD25-1 II. It does alright, but I must say I don't really worry about SQ when I'm on the move. But they do sound good and fun especially with the E6's bass boost settings.

Never used RSA tiny amps but I'm pretty sure they can provide more juice than the E6....

Quote:

Yikes, I've read about that problem on some reviews and on a thread somewhere... Maybe the Shadow would be a better idea after all...

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
weird issue......I never use the hold button. Maybe you got one with a faulty switch. Anyways, good that you figured it out.

I think you are correct because as of five minutes ago it is completely dead.  I had it at just 50% output on the amp listening to music and sure enough the blue LED faded to a light purple (a different color than the actual purple setting) again and the static came back.  My ears are still somewhat ringing from the high pitch whine that just happened.  Thank god my headphones are fine.  I contacted Amazon and they were more than happy to help me return it.  I'm an electrical engineering student and I take great care of all of my electronics so its not like I was going to a rave with it for the past day...just sitting at my desk listening to some tunes.  At this point I'm debating whether or not I should just make my own amp filter.  I don't know how great of quality I can get from EE stockroom parts (LF412 op amps) but I guess I can try?  I just feel like I'd spend a lot more on making it when I could just buy an aesthetic package with better battery life.  I don't want to completely negate the chances of never buying Fiio again because I understand things are mass produced and some can be flawed (also with shipping).  Think I should order another one or go with the E11?  Or a different brand?  I don't know.  I guess I'm in the same boat now as theThirty3rd.  Any suggestions?

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #10 of 16
I've had my E6 for about 2 months now and have been using it everyday since. It still works flawlessly if for nothing else than giving you a nice BB EQ since the iPod has crappy built-in EQ and rolled off bass. It's a bit stronger, in quantity, than, say, the E7s level 1 BB, but it helps fill out my GR07s nicely. And the size can't be beat. If your looking for something higher end with more output and less distortion, I would go with the Pico slim. Compared to the shadow, it's a bit brighter, but adds bass extension in the same way. I also prefer the analog volume rather than the digital. It's also thinner than the shadow, albeit longer, and costs the same.

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #11 of 16
In my opinion the HD25-1 ii can run really well just from a DAP. I use a Neco V3 with mine because it delivers insane volume levels compared with my ipod 5g (eq turned off).

Just saying like...

I hope you get your Nano sorted out.

The HD25's are mentally good aren't they...!

Feb 2, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
I've had my E6 for about 2 months now and have been using it everyday since. It still works flawlessly if for nothing else than giving you a nice BB EQ since the iPod has crappy built-in EQ and rolled off bass. It's a bit stronger, in quantity, than, say, the E7s level 1 BB, but it helps fill out my GR07s nicely. And the size can't be beat. If your looking for something higher end with more output and less distortion, I would go with the Pico slim. Compared to the shadow, it's a bit brighter, but adds bass extension in the same way. I also prefer the analog volume rather than the digital. It's also thinner than the shadow, albeit longer, and costs the same.

I'm going more for "budget"...gotta remember I'm a poor college student haha.  Trying to keep it under $100.  I've looked at CMoy amps too...whatcha think? Or should the E11 or E7 be the only logical choice?  I really like the bass punch the E6 had.

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
I'm going more for "budget"...gotta remember I'm a poor college student haha.  Trying to keep it under $100.  I've looked at CMoy amps too...whatcha think? Or should the E11 or E7 be the only logical choice?  I really like the bass punch the E6 had.

I was thinking more of OP who said he has looked into both and for a nano, the E6 would match perfectly form factor wise, but the Shadow and Pico Slim are much better amps. I wouldn't go with the E7 just because it's more of a DAC than an amp and the E11 has a switchable high-power and low-power setting, different levels of gain and 3 BB settings. It also has an analog volume which I prefer. The E6 and (I think) the E7 uses some sort of gain boosting for volume giving them the potential for clipping and distortion (I haven't noticed this because I haven't had to turn it up very loud because I'm using IEMs) While the E11 uses a volume limiter. So, overall the E11 is a better amp and definitely worth it over the other two. Me, however, I would much rather have the convenience of the E6s form factor.

Feb 3, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
I was thinking more of OP who said he has looked into both and for a nano, the E6 would match perfectly form factor wise, but the Shadow and Pico Slim are much better amps. I wouldn't go with the E7 just because it's more of a DAC than an amp and the E11 has a switchable high-power and low-power setting, different levels of gain and 3 BB settings. It also has an analog volume which I prefer. The E6 and (I think) the E7 uses some sort of gain boosting for volume giving them the potential for clipping and distortion (I haven't noticed this because I haven't had to turn it up very loud because I'm using IEMs) While the E11 uses a volume limiter. So, overall the E11 is a better amp and definitely worth it over the other two. Me, however, I would much rather have the convenience of the E6s form factor.

+1
I have the E7 and its amp section is pretty lame. But it is a great DAC for the price. The E11 is a dedicated portable amp and is recommended very often. And its just $65.

Feb 3, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #15 of 16
Thanks for the reply guys!

I'll probably just get an E6 for the Nano as I'd like the form factors to match.
might get a shadow/Pico Slim/something like a 2Stepdance in the future, but right now I can't justify spending hundreds on a high-end amp, especially since I'm trying to build a speaker setup.

I didn't mention it here but I was also looking for a DAC as I'm a high schooler who moves around nonstop and listens to audio with his computer.
So I might be looking at the FiiO DACs/some other alternatives.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back