Amp for HD 6XX
Jan 5, 2019 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

uziyourillusion

New Head-Fier
Recently picked up the HD 6XX. I got these after 5 years of owning the AKG Q701s. Immediately, I found out I enjoy these quite a bit more for music versus the Q701s. My only issue is, I don't think my Magni 1 is giving it enough power. I'm having to almost dime it to get loud enough on certain songs. When it starts to get just loud enough, I can really hear the detail starting to come out, but I feel like its not quite reaching its potential with this amp. Any recommendations for under $300? I've read this pairs well with tube amps. I'll mostly listen to classical, jazz, movie soundtracks, games, etc with this set.

Jan 5, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #3 of 8
Jan 5, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 8
Recently picked up the HD 6XX. I got these after 5 years of owning the AKG Q701s. Immediately, I found out I enjoy these quite a bit more for music versus the Q701s. My only issue is, I don't think my Magni 1 is giving it enough power. I'm having to almost dime it to get loud enough on certain songs. When it starts to get just loud enough, I can really hear the detail starting to come out, but I feel like its not quite reaching its potential with this amp. Any recommendations for under $300? I've read this pairs well with tube amps. I'll mostly listen to classical, jazz, movie soundtracks, games, etc with this set.

Doesn't that Magni have a gain control? If it does set it to high gain. Also what DAC are you using? If you're using the Modi or Modi2 that only has 1.5V line output.

In terms of outright power without clipping the Magni1 isn't that far off from all the HD6XX would ever need but the gain and the input signal voltage that that gain is being applied to might both be a bit too low, especially if the Q701 gets loud enough for you (it has a lower sensitivity, though it is at the impedance range where the Magni also has the most power).

Any recommendations for under $300? I've read this pairs well with tube amps. I'll mostly listen to classical, jazz, movie soundtracks, games, etc with this set.

If you don't care about properly driving the Q701 with the new amp: Darkvoice DV336se. It's OTL so its power delivery profile is biased for voltage, ie, high impedance loads. It will have lower output at low impedance and the Q701 has lower sensitivity (ie it needs more power).

If you're going to use it on both and can use digital output (ie you're not using a TT): save up for an AudioGD NFB-11.

Jan 5, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 8
Doesn't that Magni have a gain control? If it does set it to high gain. Also what DAC are you using? If you're using the Modi or Modi2 that only has 1.5V line output.

In terms of outright power without clipping the Magni1 isn't that far off from all the HD6XX would ever need but the gain and the input signal voltage that that gain is being applied to might both be a bit too low, especially if the Q701 gets loud enough for you (it has a lower sensitivity, though it is at the impedance range where the Magni also has the most power).

If you don't care about properly driving the Q701 with the new amp: Darkvoice DV336se. It's OTL so its power delivery profile is biased for voltage, ie, high impedance loads. It will have lower output at low impedance and the Q701 has lower sensitivity (ie it needs more power).

If you're going to use it on both and can use digital output (ie you're not using a TT): save up for an AudioGD NFB-11.

The Magni 1 doesn't have a gain control. Using my Sound Blaster Z as my dac.

Jan 5, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #7 of 8
DV336se if you won't drive the Q701 with the new amp.

Alternately if yo uwant to drive both you can still use the NFB-11 with the soundcard - just hook up the SBZ's SPDIF optical output to the NFB-11's SPDIF optican input.
I'm pretty satisfied with the sound of my Q701 out of the Magni, Drives it fine and everything is super clean and clear. The DV336se seems to suggested all over the web, so, that sounds like the way to go for me.

Switching back and forth between the 6XX and Q701 is kind of maddening lol. There's bits to love from both headphones, listening to a track makes me miss a particular characteristic from the other headphone and vice versa. Now Im ruined :frowning2:

Jan 5, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #8 of 8
I'm pretty satisfied with the sound of my Q701 out of the Magni, Drives it fine and everything is super clean and clear. The DV336se seems to suggested all over the web, so, that sounds like the way to go for me.

Switching back and forth between the 6XX and Q701 is kind of maddening lol. There's bits to love from both headphones, listening to a track makes me miss a particular characteristic from the other headphone and vice versa. Now Im ruined :frowning2:

Saving up for the NFB-11 or Lyr3 is an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back