AMP for HD 598's and BT 990 Pro's (250 OHM)
May 12, 2013 at 3:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Socrates138

New Head-Fier
Before anyone says "Go post this in the Amp forum" I already did, and I'm not really getting a lot of help there. So I decided to post here and see if I'd get better results.

Right now I have an E7, but I'm looking for an upgrade for my 598's and my 990 Pro's (250 OHM).

My question is this, should I get an E9 and use the E7 as the DAC for it? Or should I buy an L7 cable and get a Schiit Magni or O2?

I do not want to buy a new DAC and a new amp, I only want to buy a new amp. So if I get a Magni or an O2 I'm not buying a new DAC to go with it, I'm going to keep my E7 and use that as the DAC.

Also I'm only using this amp to be used on my desktop computer inside my room. I am not looking for an amp that is portable, I don't care about portability.

The main (and only reason) that I want to buy a new amp is to improve the sound quality on my headphones.

May 12, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 5
For the HD598 I can only recommend the Schiit Asgard. It makes them sing. Beautifully.

However you need a small addition to your E7 in order to ny use the DAC and not the amp section. It's a small piece that you clip into the base. It has mnusb in and 3.5mm out, only using the DAC no amping. It's the Fiio L7. Costs a few dollars but worth it.

I have this combination (and other) soi can vouch for it.

Cheers,
K

May 12, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #5 of 5
Sorry never got back to you in your other thread... My Bad...
rolleyes.gif

As to your question:

Quote: Socrates138
What do you think would be the best option?

1. E7/E9 combo
2. Magni/E7 (with L7 line out adapter)
3. O2/E7 (with L7 line out adapter)

The best sound you will get will be from the Magni/E7+L7 combo.
The Magni only has an RCA input on the back.
So connections will be:
Computer USB > L7 docked to E7 > 3.5mm TRS to RCA > Magni. > Headphones.

But the best features and also a great sound will be from the E9/E7 combo.
Connectors on the back:
Line In - 3.5mm
Line Out - RCA
Pre. Out - 3.5mm
USB Connector.

Connection on this will be:
Computer USB > E9 docked with E7 > Headphones
With the E9 you could also connect an iPod up to the Line In on the back, also to Powered Speakers or an External Amplifier with the Line Out or Pre. Out connections.

There are the best options that I can suggest for you if your price limit is still at $100.

I didn't add the 02 as it starts at $144...

If you are looking for a comparison between the Magni / O2 then this thread is a good place to start.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/642401/comparison-and-review-magni-modi-vs-o2-odac

If you ramp it up to $250+ then the Asguard 2 as suggested earlier would be a great option as well, it has a Line In and a Line Out with RCA's on the back so it could be used to drive an External Amp or Powered Speakers as well.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back