Amp for HD 280?
Jan 21, 2009 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

emofruit

New Head-Fier
Bought the HD 280's a few months ago and I like them a lot. However, I'd like a headphone amp that'll give that "soul" to my music that I often see people talking about on this forum. I'm on a relatively low budget.

I'd like to say I have interest in the Heed CanAmp, though I do not know if they would be the best amp for these headphones.

EDIT : Should mention as well : computer as source.

Jan 21, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #2 of 13
As someone who started out with the 280s, my advice would be to hold off on the amp and save up for a headphone upgrade. The 280s will benefit somewhat from an amp, but not enough to justify the cost. Everyone's ears are different, but I also find the 280s to be relatively detailed and analytical, but not as "musical" or "soulful" as the 595s, which will be fine without an amp.

If you're determined to get an amp, I'd suggest researching a DAC/amp combo; there are much better resources than me on that, but I think the HeadRoom Bithead or some of the iBasso products are worth checking out.

Jan 21, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coop47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As someone who started out with the 280s, my advice would be to hold off on the amp and save up for a headphone upgrade.

X2 (from someone who thinks even a half decent amp will make any dynamic can sound better
wink.gif

Jan 22, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #4 of 13
As someone who also has the 280's. I was pretty much wondering the same thing.

And please guys, the question is what Amp? Not "MOAR NEW CANS!"

I have never looked at the amp and dac stuff before. So some suggestions would be great.

Jan 22, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #5 of 13
I've been using my HD280's with a cmoy I built a few weeks ago. Sounds pretty amazing tbh. Seems like most people around here dislike the HD280's; consider them low-fi equipment, but I personally enjoy the sound they provide. I own ATH-AD700's as well, and although these headphones produce a completely different sound, I can't say that one is better than the other.

The 280's produce significantly more bass, and are greater for bassy music, whereas AD700's are better for vocals and some instrumentals. But I digress...

The 280's sound great from a cmoy amp. I haven't had much experience with other "hi-fi" equipment, so I don't have much to compare the sound to, but I honestly think its good enough for me. Look at building your own amp. Its fun, and its more rewarding than just buying a pre-built one.

Jan 25, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by iareConfusE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using my HD280's with a cmoy I built a few weeks ago. Sounds pretty amazing tbh. Seems like most people around here dislike the HD280's; consider them low-fi equipment, but I personally enjoy the sound they provide. I own ATH-AD700's as well, and although these headphones produce a completely different sound, I can't say that one is better than the other.

The 280's produce significantly more bass, and are greater for bassy music, whereas AD700's are better for vocals and some instrumentals. But I digress...

The 280's sound great from a cmoy amp. I haven't had much experience with other "hi-fi" equipment, so I don't have much to compare the sound to, but I honestly think its good enough for me. Look at building your own amp. Its fun, and its more rewarding than just buying a pre-built one.

The Sennheiser HD280 Pro is a mixed bag of opinions. I have owned the HD280 since the day they were introduced about close to six years ago in Hong Kong. A high-end CMOY amp such as the now dead Shellbrook Audio (the company not the amp) can drive the HD280 with impact and dynamics, however from much experience, most CMOY amps I have seen and heard use the Burr Brown/TI OP224 or other types to provide the power so to speak to drive these headphones. Mind you now that the Sennheiser HD280 Professional may have a 64-ohm rating, they are not very efficient headphones. In fact because of the -32db ATT that these phones are renowned for, this so called efficiency is not put into context.

Some or many will say that these headphones will not benefit much from amplification. That is the opinion of others since price does give high-end sound or something of the sort. It is what your ears think that gives the mark rather than opinions based on their preference. What does your ears think of the sound coming out of HD280s?

I personally use the C&C F1 and the Little Dot MKI to drive the Sennheiser HD280 (different amplifiers produce different results - read my reviews for further information). Many CMOY type amps produce the rather fatty bass sound that I personally do not prefer. The HD280 is a rather analytical headphone so having a CMOY will help boost some of the mid-low punch. However I find after carefully testing these headphones with different amps I come to the point that an amplifier will actually help these HD280s perform on or close to the Sennheiser HD595. This is based on more than 500-hours of listening with both the 595 and 280s (gave away the 595).

The two amplifiers that I have mentioned above are reasonably priced and are a massive improvement over many DIY and Custom CMOY amps of today. As long as those CMOY amps use Burr Brown/TI amps, the true nature of the HD280 phones will not be brought out in full. For more information on Little Dot amps please visit Little-Tube. The C&C F1 go to Headb.com: Audiophile Products, Accessories & more. To purchase the C&C then visit Audiophilechina.com.

If anything else, please feel free to look me up in this forum. Have a great new year
atsmile.gif

Jan 25, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #9 of 13
i have the 280's.
for me they just dont cut it for music.
i only use them for watching movies, late.
i bought the audio technica ath-a900, no comparison. (no amp required, for a much fuller, musical sound .i have ath-ad2000 on the way , so the a900's may soon be displaced also.

Jan 25, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #10 of 13
even amped out of my LDmkv, the 280's dont significantly improve. IMHO

Jan 25, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #11 of 13
Save the dough for better headphones, I've used HD280Pro about 2 years ago. This is my humble advice. Even I liked them when nothing was there to compare upon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back