Amp for Grados?
Jan 13, 2005 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Mith

100+ Head-Fier
I am currently using Grado SR80s and I foresee an upgrade to SR225s in the next few months here. I'm also thinking about some MS1s but I've yet to hear those so I can't say. Anyway, what kind of amp should I get? I'm looking for a budget of about $250. This will be connected to my computer via a Hercules Game Theater XP. At the moment I am running the SR80s through a powered speaker
frown.gif
and would like to get something a little bit better. I think I'll be keeping the 80s for potential portable use. Well, all I thank you in advance for your input.

Jan 13, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #2 of 10
some suggestions:

Grado RA1 (used) for ca. $200

Gilmore Lite (new) $300

Xin Supermacro $250 + up (used & new)

PIMETA - price varies

Jan 13, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 10
I run my SR80's through a JMT built CHA47 amp (in an altoids tin). I've read that it is very similar to the RA1 amp, but I really know nothing about that. I do like the sound though. Nice and smooth/clean compared to my headphone out or even my CMOY. I've not heard any of the higher-end amps either.

Jan 13, 2005 at 6:59 AM Post #5 of 10
I use my Sr-125's with a Xin SuperMacro (std /w switches). I really like the sound, it is much better than unamped. The detail increases as well as gives them a bit more soundstage, well more than absolutely none. I have also listened to them through a Grace M902 hooked to a studio board, which was a great time. The SM seems to have plenty of power to drive the Grado's compared to an A/C powered amp.

I say listen to a few amps and decide. I would like to listen to an RA-1 and hear what Grado wants their headphones to sound like amped.

Jan 13, 2005 at 8:29 AM Post #6 of 10
With my SR325s i use the Woo Audio 3 tube amp, which in my opinion is the perfect match, giving the headphones more soundstage and cleaner, deeper vocals. I can't say I have tried many amps, but compared to the RA-1, I have to say that tube amps are something else. You can get the WooAudio1 for a very decent price.

Jan 13, 2005 at 10:51 AM Post #7 of 10
I like my Porta Corda MkII + Alessandro MS-1 combo. I'd _guess_ PC would do nicely with other Grados too, hopefully I'll get a chance to try it with RS-1 and other higher end Grados in the near future.

As a side note, my amp's batt died hour ago and as I write this, I'm listening MS-1 unamped. I sure miss the amp...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back