Amp for Grados/IEMs
Nov 30, 2020 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Claypole

100+ Head-Fier
At the moment, most of my music listening is done using a Fiio M6 and Westone UM Pro 30 IEMs, and when I get the chance, I use my Grado SR125i plugged into the headphone socket of a Linn Classic. Both of these setups sound decent enough, but I’ve always wondered whether a headphone amp would bring worthwhile improvements to sound quality, or would it just bring more volume for less of a turn on the dial?

The Grados are very old, and the cable is knackered, and I have been considering replacing them with something different, like Beyer DT880, AKG K712, and others, but I haven’t been able to make a decision, so I will repair the Grados and carry on with them for a while/forever.

Would a headphone amp give the Grados a new lease of life, or should I save my money? Would the Westones get any benefit from being amped, or would I simply just end up losing granular control of the volume. (They are very sensitive, even for IEMs). I know amps are often used for hard to drive/insensitive ’phones, but does anybody use them for easy to drive ‘phones?

Nov 30, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 4
If you like the Grados, I would be tempted to get some wooden cups, decent aftermarket cable, L-Cush pads and rebuild them. You can always add an amp later.

Nov 30, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 4
If you like the Grados, I would be tempted to get some wooden cups, decent aftermarket cable, L-Cush pads and rebuild them. You can always add an amp later.
Good idea, but I am a bit reluctant to take them apart. At the moment I’ll be happy to repair the cable and get them back working again. (failure at the Y Piece). I may consider different pads though...

Nov 30, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 4
At the moment, most of my music listening is done using a Fiio M6 and Westone UM Pro 30 IEMs, and when I get the chance, I use my Grado SR125i plugged into the headphone socket of a Linn Classic. Both of these setups sound decent enough, but I’ve always wondered whether a headphone amp would bring worthwhile improvements to sound quality, or would it just bring more volume for less of a turn on the dial?

The Grados are very old, and the cable is knackered, and I have been considering replacing them with something different, like Beyer DT880, AKG K712, and others, but I haven’t been able to make a decision, so I will repair the Grados and carry on with them for a while/forever.

Would a headphone amp give the Grados a new lease of life, or should I save my money? Would the Westones get any benefit from being amped, or would I simply just end up losing granular control of the volume. (They are very sensitive, even for IEMs). I know amps are often used for hard to drive/insensitive ’phones, but does anybody use them for easy to drive ‘phones?

I don't own any grados, but my input on Westones (I have a few multi driver westones) are that they are very sensitive and don't really benefit from amping IMHO.

Maybe amping in IEMs may help for some that have low sensitivity eg Final Audio E5000, contain planars (which are generally harder to drive), and may benefit some dynamic driver types too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back