Amp for Grado SR325is?
Mar 14, 2012 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Beavis5000

Head-Fier
So I just bought a new pair of SR325is from the US... they sound pretty good on my nuforce icon mobile but I still remember my SR125is sounding far better from a CD player's lineout hooked up to a cmoy... anyways, I'm not sure if it's the lack of synergy or whatever but I am now looking into buying an amp with better synergy... I'm not sure if the DAC in my Icon Mobile is much better than my laptop's... do I keep using this as a DAC and get a dedicated amp or should I just get a whole new DAC/Amp combo all together? my budget is about $200 

Mar 14, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #2 of 3
That's probably because a CMoy has a warm sound.  I'm not sure what type of amp would fit you besides possibly the UHA-4 and the TTVJ Slim, but those sort of tubey sounding amps or actually the ALO Continental which is a portable tube amp would fit the Grado sound signature unless you're a treble lover then those would not be your choice as they mellow out the piercing notes of the Grado's.

Mar 14, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #3 of 3
The  SR125 was getting a stronger signal from the CD player, even if it is/was a portable one.  (My old Sony portable CD player makes my Etymotic ER4 sound like a 50mm closed full size headphone!)  And, yes, the CMoy would have a warmer sound as an amp.

Your new SR325 has a slightly V-shaped sound with upper-mids and lower-trebles emphasis, if you combine that with the Nuforce Icon (which I remember reading has a pretty cold sound), you probably have a pretty cold sounding SR325.

CMoys, PA2V2, or some of the Ray Samuels amps, like P4 would be warmer amps for your SR325.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back