Amp for grado SR225i and ultrasone hfi-780
Dec 4, 2009 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

CC Lemon

100+ Head-Fier
I should be getting my 780's in a week or so and grados later this month. Along with the grados, I'll be getting a total bithead for portable use. I've been doing a lot of reading but as much as I try, I can't figure out where to even begin with amps.

My limits/qualifications:
1) Price. I'll probably be having to save up after christmas for this, so it will still be a little while anyways, but I'd say I'd be interested in spending up to $200, but I'll set the absolute limit at $250 in the event that a little extra would make a huge difference.
2) Source. I'm mostly going to be using my laptop and desktop. My laptop is a 1st gen macbook so I could get something external to improve sound if need be, and I've built a few computers before so I'm definitely able to install a sound card for that (again, if needed).
3) Space. Due to my other limits, I know I wont be getting anything to huge, but I'd like to start with a fairly clean and small set up. Like I said, I'm mostly avoiding stuff that's massive.

So I guess questions would be:

1) Would a low priced home use amp be worth it, or will the total bithead be enough at this point
2) If having a home amp would be good, what should I be looking for? I'm still fuzzy on the solid state vs tube idea.
3) Any other recommendations? Things to avoid? I've read the stickies... anything else worth reading/studying to understand better?

Dec 5, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #3 of 11
I own the SR225i and I just got a Little Dot I+ in the mail today. It's a great hybird (tube and solid state, best of both worlds) amp for the Grados and it can be purchased for about $100ish before shipping with the ok Chinese tubes.

Dec 5, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperDuel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own the SR225i and I just got a Little Dot I+ in the mail today. It's a great hybird (tube and solid state, best of both worlds) amp for the Grados and it can be purchased for about $100ish before shipping with the ok Chinese tubes.

yeah, I've seen quite a few posts about that amp so it did seem to be like a potential good choice. What's a good site with a fairly large selection of amps? I've browsed some of the headphone sites but they dont seem to have anywhere near the amount of amps compared to what all is discussed here.

Dec 5, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by CC Lemon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, I've seen quite a few posts about that amp so it did seem to be like a potential good choice. What's a good site with a fairly large selection of amps? I've browsed some of the headphone sites but they dont seem to have anywhere near the amount of amps compared to what all is discussed here.

Well for the Little Dot you have to order it on ebay or contact David the LD seller at little.tube@gmail.com.

For more amp research I would recommend go to the search feature of this website and type in 225i and amp and see where that takes you.

Dec 5, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #6 of 11
Ah, that explain why I couldn't find it on amazon etc. I'll definitely look into that. I hadn't thought of pairing "amp" with various headphones to get better search results for some reason.

edit: so the inputs for the little dot is RCA? Should that be fed from a DAC or is there a sufficient method of connecting it directly to a computer via headphone jack?

Dec 5, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #7 of 11
i second the little dot or an ibasso D10 since it's right up your budget alley, small and comes with a good dac.

if you go with the little dot, consider to spend another 250$ on the little doc dac_I I was pretty impressed by the difference it made.

Dec 5, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by CC Lemon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
edit: so the inputs for the little dot is RCA? Should that be fed from a DAC or is there a sufficient method of connecting it directly to a computer via headphone jack?

You can use your Bithead as a DAC.
Just buy or make a mini jack –> RCA cable.

Dec 5, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #10 of 11
Just looked at the ibasso. It's a little more expensive but workable maybe. The thing I'm liking about the ibasso is that it's a dac and amp.. the USB feature is definitely a nice thing. Only problem with it is that I'll have my bithead which will can be my DAC as mentioned above.... so currently, the little dot looks like my top pick.

My biggest question is still if it's worth it. Will I notice a significant difference with my phones should I just stick with the bithead till I get phones that require a better amp?

Dec 8, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #11 of 11
Hey have you got the Ultrasone's yet? I am thinking about getting them along with my Grado SR-225 and just wanted to know your impressions, thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
BTW I have a tube amp Qinpu A-3 with Zero DAC hooked up to my Grado SR-225 and i feel as though even tho they have 10 hrs on them, the tube amp adds an overall "warmer" sound. I am no audiophile but it feels as though the bass has a bit more quantity and impact as well as the overall sound is just more detailed (obviously). The music just feels more alive to me and the sound signature isn't as cold/harsh as it is unamped. I recommend getting a tube amp with Grado's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back