Amp for Grado SR-80's, Keces 131 DAC, and M-AUDIO 5.1
May 25, 2008 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Steve The Egg

100+ Head-Fier
I'd like it to be very transparent. Any suggestions are appreciated!
smily_headphones1.gif

Several suggestions in different price ranges would be awesome!

May 25, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #2 of 17
I have SR-80's, and the Keces 151 (usb version), and the PPAv2 is VERY nice sounding.

May 25, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #6 of 17
The SR80 sees alot of change when amped by a PPAv2.

The PPAv2 you do have to make, or, you can get somebody to build it for you like I did. Lead-way is around a week to make it, but the PPAv2 is probably the single most turning point in my head-fi experience. Not in that I'm thinking it's the best amp in the world or anything, but it has opened my eyes to dedicated home rigs, not just portables that suffice as desktops. The sound is that much better, even over a LisaIII, and you can really tell there's some BALLS behind the headphone jack to really drive most anything you can throw at it. Which is why I think the SR80 gained so much, because it has the power on the other end of the cord to take it to it's potential.

May 25, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SR80 sees alot of change when amped by a PPAv2.

The PPAv2 you do have to make, or, you can get somebody to build it for you like I did. Lead-way is around a week to make it, but the PPAv2 is probably the single most turning point in my head-fi experience. Not in that I'm thinking it's the best amp in the world or anything, but it has opened my eyes to dedicated home rigs, not just portables that suffice as desktops. The sound is that much better, even over a LisaIII, and you can really tell there's some BALLS behind the headphone jack to really drive most anything you can throw at it. Which is why I think the SR80 gained so much, because it has the power on the other end of the cord to take it to it's potential.

Awesome man!!! It sound like I'll be getting a Keces 131 and a PPA v2
biggrin.gif
Just to make sure. The DAC and the amp mix well with other headphones if I want to upgrade? I'd upgrade to a higher Grado, HD650's, or Denon 5000. Also, I'd like some more opinions here. I'm not trying to knock you; I just want to make the best decision possible. I hope you understand
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #9 of 17
Yeah, for sure, no problem. Of the headphones I've played through the PPAv2, they have the best synergy with Grados because I got the amp with the OPA627 configuration.

OPA 627s
Vishay/Dale RN55D (mil spec) metal film resitors.
Panasonic FM series electrolytic capacitors.
Wima film capacitors.

If you read the (massive)PPAv2 thread, you'll see the OPA627 is the preferred opamp for most anyways. I was told by my builder this was the best choice for Grado's anyways. But alot of people think the PPAv2 is fine with most everything.

Also, don't listen to the people who say it's mid-fi, dated, blah blah. The LisaIII is basically a PPAv2 with minor updates. So in essence, they're calling a LISAIII an old design as well. Who cares if it's a design that's a year or two old, it WORKS, and it sound GOOD. I think it blows a LISAIII out of the water. Granted it's not quite a fair comparison since the Lisa can be brought with you on the go, bottom line is, the sound isn't on par, IMO atleast.

Although there are better (read: newer, some likely fotm) better amps out there, the PPAv2 with a steps power supply is a SOLID performer...

May 26, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #10 of 17
Where can I get someone to build me the one that's best suitied for Grado's: OPA 627s
Vishay/Dale RN55D (mil spec) metal film resitors.
Panasonic FM series electrolytic capacitors.
Wima film capacitors. ???

Or where can I buy a pre-made/used one? and how much is this going to set me back?

I know there are PPA's for sale but they aren't this specific I don't think. And I don't think they are v2's.

May 26, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #11 of 17
You've got a PM coming your way...

May 26, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #12 of 17
may i also get a pm? i've been interested in getting a pa2v2 for a while now. I also have a pair of sr80's.. haha. I was still hesitant of buying a pa2v2 because i heard it was not a good pair up with my clip and re2 since the clip had such good sq already.

May 26, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #13 of 17
Or you could PM me, lol....but PM sent.

May 26, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomikans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
may i also get a pm? i've been interested in getting a pa2v2 for a while now. I also have a pair of sr80's.. haha. I was still hesitant of buying a pa2v2 because i heard it was not a good pair up with my clip and re2 since the clip had such good sq already.

the pa2v2 and PPAv2 are two very different amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back