Amp for Grado SR-325
Apr 2, 2007 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tubaman

100+ Head-Fier
I'm considering getting my friend an amp for his Grado SR-325, which he's currently using un-amped. Any ideas? Budget is <$300, may consider used also as long as in pristine condition, so I guess it's up to $400.

Thanks!

Apr 2, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #2 of 5
Well, I seem to recall that the Gilmore Dynamic was designed to drive the Grado headphones. Among FET-input amps it's relatively smooth or neutral, depending on your source and taste.

For the same or less cost there are a number of amps that will drive the 32-ohm Grados. I would consider a PPA (or PIMETA) and a budget Corda that has buffers, like the Head-Five.

I'm sure there are other good amps but I only know the ones I mentioned.

Apr 2, 2007 at 8:00 AM Post #3 of 5
All that Joe have mentioned are very good choices.

To add, yes the Gilmore Dynamic was indeed designed to drive Grado's although it performs very well with other headphones too. Among DIY circles it is known as the Dynalo. Commercially, it is sold as the Gilmore Lite. I think it runs $225 commercially.

One other consideration is the CKKIII, a DIY amp that you might be able to find someone to make. I am currently using it with my RS-2's and enjoying it very much. Parts will cost $150.

Beta22 would be another high end amp by the same designer. It is supposed to be quite good and on the same level as the Dynahi (Gilmore's upper level answer to the Dynalo). Parts will cost $300.

There are a few members around here that will build an amp for you. I think MisterX is one that gets mentioned frequently. I think that would be a really nice choice because it's something special and that he can't find in a store. They also sound great.

Apr 2, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 5
Lots of great info above. I would just add as has been said, the Corda Headfive recommendation, as it drives my RS-2s remarkably & satisfyingly well.

Meier Audio a Head-Fi sponsor, is offering an updated replacement based upon the H5 for your concideration.

Good luck~

Apr 2, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #5 of 5
I'm loving my sr325i and Xenos X1HA-EPC combination.

The two really complement each other oh the bass and soundstage
icon10.gif
highly recomended
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back