Amp for Grado Phones Recommendations...
Jul 30, 2009 at 10:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

JLChristie

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I recently brought a Rega Ear Headphone amp to drive my Grado's - and don't like it very much. It seems to lack the detail and musicality im after. My source is a Naim CD5x/Flatcap2x.

I was wondering what is a good amp for Grado phones? Iv heard the Grado RA1 Amp ($999 NZ) isn't that great, and is all looks for the price , is this a fair statement?

A logical choice would be a Naim Headline, but thats $1200 NZ... would rather not unless it was amazing...

Perreaux SXH2 is $999 NZ which seems to have decent reviews. How does the independence go with Grado's?

The Rega Ear was $400 so quite a bit cheaper. Iv been told tubes are out for Grado because of the independance mis-match? I think this is the problem with the Rega as well even though its SS?

The Rega had about 21 db gain where the Perreaux has 15 db if this matters?
Any other amps out there available to NZ?

Thanks!

EDIT:

Rega Ear = $262 US
Naim Headline = $788+ US
Perreaux SXH2 = $656 US

Jul 30, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 14
If you are considering something in the range of $700 US, go with the Mapletree EAR+ HD. It has well known synergy with the grados. Also look at the Woo Audio 6. Both of those amps are tube, but they are good tube amps for grados because they are transformer coupled, using a transformer to lower the output impedance. This is also why they are a pretty big jump from the lower end -- good transformers are expensive.

Also, what grados are you amping?

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are considering something in the range of $700 US, go with the Mapletree EAR+ HD. It has well known synergy with the grados. Also look at the Woo Audio 6. Both of those amps are tube, but they are good tube amps for grados because they are transformer coupled, using a transformer to lower the output impedance. This is also why they are a pretty big jump from the lower end -- good transformers are expensive.

Also, what grados are you amping?

Thanks for your reply. Im using Grado RS-1. I was wondering which a amp that suits the Grado's, would it be any good for something like HD650? Or would it exclusively only be good for Grado phones/independence?

Aug 1, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tamahome77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You want an amp for your RS-1? Mapletree EAR+ HD is the way to go. I've briefly heard the HD650 with the Mapletree EAR+ HD, it sounded good but not as awesome as with the RS-1.

I agree the Mapletree EAR+HD have great synergy with the RS1s, but I found that the RA1 was just as good. Just phenomenal synergy with my RS1s.

My two cents...

Aug 1, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #7 of 14
Thanks for the replys. Are there amps out there that are good with different phones, say Grado and Senn HD6XX? I know these are completely different independence to drive...

Would you HAVE to use an amp with multiple/adjustable independence such as Corda Symphony?

How does this amp sound by the way?

THanks

Aug 1, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #8 of 14
If you're thinking about driving other phones, you can basically rule out RA-1.
The synergy is there (which I like it a lot), but only for Grado phones.

My impression of Corda Symphony on Grado is bad (mine is GS-1000).
The high of GS-1000 is very nice on RA-1, great on Lavry DA10, Grace M902, and SPL Auditor, but is wrong and harsh on Corda Symphony.

Overall, with a decent source, RA-1 is a great amp for Grado, especially if you can get a used one.

SPL Auditor and Grace M902 are definitely better than RA-1 with better control and precision, but I wonder if I want to spend that much for such an improvement that is not as much as I expected.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLChristie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the replys. Are there amps out there that are good with different phones, say Grado and Senn HD6XX? I know these are completely different independence to drive...

Would you HAVE to use an amp with multiple/adjustable independence such as Corda Symphony?

How does this amp sound by the way?

THanks

Aug 2, 2009 at 7:20 AM Post #9 of 14
Hi jl christie,

I see you've also posted on headphonic on this topic. My suggestion would be to
contact Audio Genesis in Sydney (the Australian distributors of Naim -they're on the net as numbers audio). They have some headline mk1s and old style napsc around and would probably sell these for approx au$600-700. This combo will drive the grados, match the sonic signature, etc. Send them an email, you've nothing to lose.

Regards,

Giles

Aug 2, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #10 of 14
I'm enjoying my HF-2 out of the TTVJ FET-A at the moment - detailed, good base and smooth. Not sure about other Grados, but it has also been reviewed positively with higher impedance headphones.

Cost is USD699 with the international power option.

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #12 of 14
Thanks all for your suggestions. I probably should have said the other headphones are HD650's. Yes I have posted this at another site, Im just trying to narrow down what headphone amp will work with both my cans?

I had a really good listen with my HD650's and Grado RS1i's today. Both playing form a Naim CD5x Source and Rega Ear Headphone Amp.

There was no real comparison, the HD650 walked all over the Grado's in most departments. Soundstage was totally better - it actually had depth, vocals clearer no grain in the voice, detail all were far superior. The Grado's had more "Prat", but with the Naim Source the HD650's didn't really lack Prat. Grado's had edge on attack and electric guitar but thats about it ...The HD650 bass wasn't as bloated as It can be - again probably a good synergy with Naim?

I want to like the Grado's though in a funny way, and they are still great headphones. Im sure the Amp isn't going them ANY favours... Iv heard it was designed with HD6XX to voice them?

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilles De Rais /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi jl christie,

I see you've also posted on headphonic on this topic. My suggestion would be to
contact Audio Genesis in Sydney (the Australian distributors of Naim -they're on the net as numbers audio). They have some headline mk1s and old style napsc around and would probably sell these for approx au$600-700. This combo will drive the grados, match the sonic signature, etc. Send them an email, you've nothing to lose.

Regards,

Giles

I have a Naim Flatcap which can power the Naim headphone amp. What is the mk1? Naims amp is the headline?

How does Naim's amp sound with Grado/Senn 650?

Cheers!

PS: Ok will rule Corda Symphony out as others have said no good for Grado

Aug 3, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #14 of 14
I was using an olive Naim Headline powered by a hicap,it sounded good with sr80i's,ultrasone pro 750's and senn595's.The new black one is called headline2,and is voiced to match their newer kit,or so they say.I only sold it because my wife made me put the hicap on the CD5,and i was to tight to buy another naim psu,wish i had kept it !.If you get one and don't like it,being naim,you can sell it for what you paid for it,i made 10quid profit on mine.I now have three pairs of grados and a little dot 1+,which i am enjoying,for the moment,but i must say the headline did work well regardless of which phones i was using. What i really need is a very large wallet
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back